Brian White | November 11, 2022 | Car Accidents
Being hit by another driver is frustrating. However, when that driver flees the scene of the accident, it can create problems in recovering compensation for property damage and bodily injury. Therefore, it is in your best interest to seek legal advice from an experienced Houston hit-and-run accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Reasons for Hiring a Lawyer After a Hit and Run Accident in Houston
Consulting an accident attorney after a motor vehicle accident is always beneficial. You should understand your legal rights and the options for recovering compensation for damages. Moreover, an attorney can help you prove the legal requirements for winning a hit-and-run accident claim.
Ways that a personal injury lawyer can help you after a hit-and-run accident in Houston include:
- Answer your questions about the claims process
- Investigate the car accident to gather evidence proving causation and fault (You have the burden of proving the hit-and-run driver caused the crash.)
- Verify insurance coverage and file insurance claims
- Handle all matters with the insurance adjuster and other parties
- Monitor the police investigation of the hit-and-run accident
- Work with accident reconstructionists and other expert witnesses, as necessary
- Help you understand how uninsured motorist claims work for hit-and-run crashes
- Document your damages to determine how much your claim is worth
- Negotiate a settlement agreement with the insurance company
- File a lawsuit and pursue the claim in court, if necessary
Being hit by a hit-and-run driver can be overwhelming. However, knowing what to do after a hit-and-run accident is crucial to recovering compensation for your damages. Having the guidance and legal counsel of an experienced Houston car accident lawyer can make the difference between winning and losing your case.
Why Do People Flee an Accident Scene in Houston?
There are many reasons why a person might leave the accident scene without stopping. Common reasons for hit-and-run accidents include:
- The person did not have the required car insurance coverage (about 20% of Texas drivers are uninsured)
- The driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- The person was transporting illegal weapons, stolen items, or illegal drugs
- The driver was not a legal citizen
- The person panicked and ran from the accident scene
- The vehicle was stolen, or the driver did not own the vehicle
- The person did not have a valid driver’s license
- The driver had outstanding criminal warrants for their arrest
Regardless of why someone flees the accident scene, you are left facing the financial consequences of the crash. If the police locate the hit-and-run driver, you might be able to recover compensation from the driver. However, your best option might be to file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance provider.
How Does Uninsured Motorist Coverage Apply in Hit and Run Accidents in Texas?
Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage can be purchased as part of your automobile insurance policy. The coverage applies when an uninsured driver causes an accident. However, it also applies to hit-and-run crashes.
UM insurance compensates you for the damages caused by a hit-and-run driver or uninsured driver. The policy typically covers economic and non-economic damages.
Therefore, you could receive compensation for the following:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Long-term or in-home nursing care
- Assistance with personal care and household chores
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of wages, salary, benefits, and other income
- A decrease in future earning capacity
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Physical pain and suffering
- Disfigurement, scarring, impairment, and disabilities
- Loss of enjoyment of life and quality of life
Before you can recover money for your damages, you must prove that the other driver caused the accident. A Houston hit-and-run accident lawyer can help.
The attorney investigates the cause of the crash to gather evidence proving fault. Evidence could include:
- Videos of the accident from traffic cameras and other surveillance cameras
- Testimony from eyewitnesses
- Opinions and evidence provided by accident reconstructionists
- Evidence collected by police officers and law enforcement agencies
- Physical evidence from the accident scene
Your insurance company might try to deny the claim by saying the accident never occurred or you do not have sufficient evidence of fault. An accident lawyer fights these allegations and other tactics used to deny and undervalue your damages.
How Much Compensation Can a Lawyer Help Me Recover for a Hit-and-Run Accident Claim?
Numerous factors affect how much your accident claim is worth. When determining how much compensation you could receive for your claim, factors to consider include the following:
- The cost of medical treatment, lost wages, and other monetary losses
- The severity of your injuries, including whether you sustained permanent impairments
- Whether you are partially to blame for the cause of the crash
- The availability of insurance coverage
- The parties involved in the case
- The impact your injuries have on your daily life
- How quickly you sought medical treatment for your injuries
Your lawyer works to maximize the value of damages. Therefore, the sooner you seek legal advice, the better for your case. Even though you might be the only party involved in the claim, your time to file a claim is limited.
Contact an experienced lawyer to schedule a free consultation to discuss your claim. Attorney Brian White personal injury lawyers offer free consultations.
Contact the Houston Car Accident Lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers For Help
For more information, contact the Houston car accident law firm of Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers by calling (713) 500-5000.
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers
3120 Southwest Freeway, Suite 350
Houston, TX 77098
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers – East Fwy
11811 East Fwy, Suite 630-06
Houston, TX 77029
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers – South Loop
2600 S Loop W, Suite 293
Houston, TX 77054