Houston Truck Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in a truck accident in Houston, Texas? The Houston truck accident lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers have decades of legal experience. Call us at (713) 500-5000 and get a free case review today.
Semi-truck accident claims can be complex. They can also be contentious due to the large commercial insurance policies involved.
You deserve an experienced attorney to help you hold the truck driver and trucking company responsible for your injuries.
Contact our Houston law firm to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with a truck accident attorney. We work on contingency, which means we don’t charge attorney fees unless we recover a verdict or settlement on your behalf.
We’ve recovered tens of millions for accident victims in Houston, Texas. We will use our skills, experience, and resources to put you in a position to win.
How Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Truck Accident in Houston, Texas
Trucking companies and insurers are known for fighting truck accident claims tooth and nail. Why? Semi-trucks are often covered by large commercial insurance policies because they can do so much damage in a crash. Paying out these large claims affects their bottom line.
It may seem like the insurance company doesn’t care about your losses or how the accident has affected your life. At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, that’s all we care about. We have decades of experience helping truck accident victims with their personal injury claims. We’ve recovered millions, and top legal organizations like Avvo and Super Lawyers have recognized our success.
When you hire us to help you with your big rig accident case in Houston, Texas, we will:
- Explain your rights and options for recovering compensation
- Launch an investigation to gather evidence of the trucking company’s liability
- Identify all responsible parties
- Calculate your damages so you understand the value of your claim
- Work with experts in medicine, finance, and accident reconstruction (if necessary) to strengthen your case
- Handle all negotiations and communications with the other side
- Represent you in court as we pursue fair compensation on your behalf
Our founding attorney is an experienced trial attorney and Board Certified expert in personal injury law. You can trust we have the skills, experience, and aggressiveness you need on your side to get the best result.
To find out more about us, click here and visit our client testimonials page and our YouTube channel.
How Common Are Commercial Truck Accidents in Houston, TX?
Texas has one of the highest rates of truck accidents in the country. As Texas’s biggest city, Houston is responsible for a large share of these collisions.
In 2021, there were a total of 38,149 crashes in Texas involving commercial vehicles. Harris County was the scene of 5,743 semi-truck accidents in 2021 — over 15% of the accidents statewide. These collisions resulted in 44 fatalities and 149 serious injuries. They also caused nearly 1,900 minor injuries.
Nearby Fort Bend County experienced another 450+ truck crashes, resulting in 11 deaths and 20 serious injuries. Montgomery County had nearly 700 truck accidents, of which 16 resulted in fatalities and 26 resulted in serious injuries.
These statistics paint a grim picture of how common truck accidents are in our city.
Do I Need a Lawyer in a Semi-Truck Accident Case?
If your truck accident resulted in serious injuries and damages, you likely need a lawyer to help you get the money you deserve. As mentioned above, trucking companies and insurers are notorious for challenging truck crash claims. They will do everything in their power to limit their liability for your accident.
You should expect the other parties to employ the following tactics:
- Offer you a quick settlement and aggressively push you to accept. This settlement will likely not account for all your damages. However, by accepting it, you agree to waive all future claims related to the wreck. An attorney will help you understand the full value of your claim and pursue fair compensation.
- Blame you for the accident. If the insurance company can pin blame on you for the accident, they will. If they can prove you share responsibility for the accident, then under Texas law, they can reduce your compensation. You won’t recover any compensation if you are mostly at fault. Your lawyer can protect you from unfounded accusations that you are responsible for the accident.
The simple fact is the insurance company has you outmatched. They will use their vast resources and small armies of attorneys and adjusters to pay you as little as possible.
By hiring a trailer truck accident lawyer, you get access to your own winning resources. You’ll have an experienced trial attorney in your corner to protect your rights and best interests.
How to Find a Qualified Truck Accident Attorney in Houston, TX
There are tons of attorneys out there. Not every lawyer will be right for your claim. It is important to find a personal injury lawyer who has experience handling — and winning — truck accident lawsuits.
You can find a qualified attorney for your case using the following methods:
- Ask family and friends for referrals
- Use a search engine to find an experienced attorney near you
- Search legal directories like Avvo to identify good candidates
- Use the Texas Bar’s “Find a Lawyer” database – This option allows you to enter search parameters based on your location and legal needs. It also allows you to search for lawyers with specific expertise and certifications.
Once you narrow down your search, you should check out the attorney’s ratings and reviews. These reviews will tell you how former clients feel about the attorney. You should also check out the attorney’s case results to review their success in truck accident claims and other cases.
Most commercial work truck accident lawyers in Houston offer free consultations. Therefore, finding a qualified attorney involves minimal financial risk. Contact Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule your free case review.
Compensation Available in Texas Truck Accidents
Truck accident victims in Texas are entitled to two main types of damages after a crash.
Economic damages cover financial losses connected to the accident. Non-economic damages cover personal, non-monetary consequences of the crash.
Economic damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses (which will likely make up the bulk of your economic losses).
- Lost wages while you recovered from your injuries
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Property damage
Typically, you will have receipts, invoices, or other documentation to prove your economic damages. However, non-economic damages typically do not come with a price tag — they have no inherent monetary value. Therefore, you will likely need the help of experts to prove them.
Examples of non-economic losses include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Rare cases might be eligible for punitive damages. Punitive damages punish the at-fault party (rather than compensate the accident victim). For example, accidents involving an intoxicated truck driver might qualify.
Call our law firm today for help determining what damages you might be entitled to after your truck accident.
Trucking Industry Laws & Liability in Houston
Truck drivers and trucking companies have to follow a large set of state and federal rules and regulations. Many of these rules are set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
The following laws and requirements frequently come up in personal injury cases:
- All truck drivers must have a commercial driver’s license.
- Drivers must abide by hours-of-service rules that limit the number of hours they can drive in a day or week. Otherwise, they may become tired or drowsy and cause an accident. They must also keep records of driving and rest periods.
- Truck drivers/companies must purchase minimum amounts of liability insurance. They must also purchase an MCS endorsement if they travel across state lines.
- Truck companies must obey weight limits for cargo (the limit is typically 80,000 lbs) and ensure cargo is properly secured.
- Trucking companies must properly maintain their big trucks and keep adequate maintenance records.
Trucking companies must also vet and train their drivers and refrain from putting unqualified drivers on the road.
There are many other laws that apply to the trucking industry. Our experienced Houston truck accident attorneys are familiar with all of them and know how they might affect your case. Contact our Houston law office today to schedule a free case consultation to learn if a truck driver may have broken the law before your accident.
How Much Is My Houston Truck Accident Injury Case Worth?
It’s impossible to give an exact amount without knowing the specifics of the truck accident, your injuries, and the parties involved. All cases are unique, with different facts and circumstances.
Some truck accident cases may be worth a few thousand dollars, while others could be worth millions. Typically, the more catastrophic your injuries, the more your semi-truck accident case will be worth.
We’ll evaluate the following factors when calculating the value of your Houston truck accident claim:
- The severity of your injuries and the ways they impact your quality of life
- Your medical bills, out-of-pocket costs, and lost wages
- Whether you can return to work in the same capacity as before your truck wreck
- Whether you are permanently impaired or disabled due to the collision
- The pain, suffering, and mental anguish you’ve endured
- The parties involved in the truck accident case
- Whether any commercial insurance policies apply
- Whether you share fault for causing the Texas truck crash
Our accident attorneys will help you understand what your case may be worth as we gather evidence proving your damages.
How Much Are Settlements for Commercial Truck Wrecks?
Commercial vehicle accidents often involve more extensive insurance policies than regular motor vehicle collisions. They also tend to involve more severe injuries and significant damages.
Accordingly, the settlements recovered in these cases are often substantial. However, as with any personal injury claim, it will depend on several factors. We’ll need to examine the severity of your injuries, your incurred expenses, whether you contributed to the accident, and the parties involved.
The average car accident settlement is around $21,000, and truck accident settlements are often higher. However, that doesn’t mean you’ll receive that amount – you could receive more or less.
Until we know more about your situation, we cannot provide a definitive number for how much you’ll receive in a settlement.
Where Do Most 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents Happen in Houston, TX?
An 18-wheeler accident can happen anywhere, but some areas tend to be more prone to collisions than others. Texas has a significant role in the gas and oil industry, meaning these giant trucks frequent the state’s roadways.
Two of the country’s most dangerous highways run through Houston: I-10 and US-290. These highways are filled with semi-trucks daily carrying all sorts of products, sometimes speeding to get to its destination on time.
There are some other dangerous roads in Houston, including:
- Airline Drive
- Antoine Drive
- Beechnut Road
- Bellaire Boulevard
- Bissonnet Street
- Clay Road
- Cullen Boulevard
- Fondren Rd
- Fountain View Road
- Frontage Freeway
- Fry Road
- Garth Road
- Highway 6
- Hillcroft Avenue
- Kuykendahl Road
- Louetta Rd
- Main Street
- North Shepherd Drive
- State Highway 249
- South Gessner Road
- South Post Oak Road
- Veterans Memorial Drive
- West Tidwell Rd
- Westheimer Road
- West Little York Road
- West Tidwell Rd
Regardless of where your truck accident occurred, Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Most truck accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You will not owe any upfront costs to get legal representation – and you will only pay if your case is successful.
Under a contingency fee arrangement, if your attorney wins your case, their fees will be deducted from your awarded compensation. The amount is between 33-40%, but it could be more or less depending on different factors in your case.
We understand you may have significant expenses after a semi-truck crash. The contingency fee structure allows you to retain an experienced truck accident attorney, even if you don’t have the financial means. You will not owe attorney’s fees if your lawyer doesn’t obtain a favorable settlement or verdict for you.
What If I’m Partly At Fault for the Truck Accident?
If you’re partially responsible for your Texas truck accident, you may still be able to recover compensation from another at-fault party. It will depend on your percentage of responsibility.
Under Texas modified comparative negligence rules, plaintiffs cannot recover damages if their portion of fault exceeds 50%. If your assigned fault is 50% or less, your awarded compensation will be reduced proportionately.
For example, if you are held 40% responsible for a truck collision, you can only recover 60% of your awarded damages. You’re prevented from financial recovery if you’re assigned 51% (or more) of the blame.
Are you being blamed for a truck collision in Houston? If so, contact Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers for assistance immediately. We’ll evaluate the validity of the accusations and gather evidence limiting the amount of fault that is assigned to you.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All of Your Truck Accident Injuries
Semi-trucks are much larger in size and weight than other passenger vehicles sharing the road. Therefore, the injuries they can cause in collisions can be severe and life-altering.
Our semi-truck accident attorneys in Houston have helped personal injury victims who have sustained all types of injuries, including:
- Concussions, and traumatic head and brain injuries
- Paralysis and other spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Soft tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Crushing injuries
- Back injuries
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Chest injuries
- Psychological trauma, like PTSD and anxiety
We understand the immense toll a motor vehicle accident can take on your physical and emotional well-being. That’s why we’ll fully take on your battle for compensation, giving you time to rest and heal.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in Houston, TX?
Truck drivers have a duty to follow strict trucking regulations to keep others on the road safe. Unfortunately, truckers are frequently under immense pressure to meet deadlines – meaning they drive for long periods and engage in reckless driving behaviors.
Accordingly, negligence or driver error is one of the most common causes of 18-wheeler collisions.
Some other causes of truck accidents in Houston include:
- Aggressive driving
- Speeding or driving too fast
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI)
- Unevenly loaded cargo
- Overloaded cargo
- Defective truck parts or equipment
- Driver fatigue due to hours of service violations
- Unsafe passing or lane changes
- Inexperienced truck drivers
- Negligent training or hiring practices
- Trucking company negligence
- Failure to inspect the truck
- Poor truck maintenance
- Mechanical issues
Unfamiliarity with an area and adverse weather conditions can also contribute to truck accidents. We’ll determine what caused your truck wreck and identify every party who could share responsibility.
We Handle All Types of Truck Wreck Cases in Houston, TX
At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, our trusted car and truck accident attorneys can help you with any type of case – whether it involves an 18-wheeler, big rig, or any other type of tractor-trailer.
These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Accidents involving trucks and passenger cars
- Jackknife accidents
- Blind spot accidents
- T-Bone truck accidents
- Rear-end truck accidents in Houston
- Tire blowout truck accidents
- Overloaded cargo truck accidents
- Underride truck accidents
- Wide-turn accidents
If you were injured in a jackknife accident, our Houston 18-Wheeler Jackknife Trucking Accident Lawyers can help.
Were you or a loved one recently involved in a commercial truck accident in the Houston area? Our law firm offers a free consultation, where you’ll have the chance to speak with an experienced Houston truck wreck attorney about your case. Call today to get started.
How Long Does It Take To Settle a Houston Truck Accident Claim?
It can take considerable time to settle a truck accident claim in Houston, Texas. There is no precise answer to how long it takes to settle a claim, as each involves its own set of facts and circumstances. Some may resolve in just a few weeks, but others could take much longer.
Houston truck accident cases can be complex, potentially involving multiple parties and insurance companies, the at-fault driver, and the trucking company itself. Depending on the case, these factors may lengthen the amount of time it takes to reach an adequate settlement. The nature and extent of your truck wreck injuries may even play a role.
But make no mistake about it – the truck crash attorneys at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers are willing to go the distance. We dedicate the necessary resources and attention that each case deserves. Contact our truck accident law firm in Houston today to learn more about your legal rights and options.
What Should I Do After a Houston Truck Accident?
Often, the aftermath of a truck accident is overwhelming. Here are some important things to remember in the event that you’re involved in a truck crash:
- Do not accept responsibility for the accident, and do not apologize. If you do, you’ll likely hurt your claim for compensation against the at-fault party.
- Contact 911 and alert the authorities that the truck accident has occurred. This may be required by law under certain circumstances, and a police report can help your case.
- If you can do so safely, record evidence of the crash. That might mean taking photos and videos of the vehicles, retrieving the contact information of any eyewitnesses, and exchanging information with the other driver(s).
- Receive medical care, regardless of whether you have an obvious injury. Some injuries may not be present at the scene of the accident, and medical evidence could play a key role in your claim.
You may also need to hire a Houston truck accident attorney following a wreck – and before you speak with any insurance companies. A truck crash lawyer can help to protect your rights from the very beginning.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
It’s most likely in your best interest to hire a truck accident lawyer after a crash in Houston, TX. Doing so means you’ll be in a position to receive the compensation you need and deserve after an accident.
Most truck accident cases will entail filing a claim against a powerful insurance company. In some instances, your best course of action may be to file a lawsuit against the trucking company itself under a theory of vicarious liability.
Either way, going it alone without a Houston truck crash attorney means the other side will have an easier time taking advantage of you – meaning settling your claim for less than what it’s worth or escaping liability entirely.
If you hire a professional and experienced truck accident attorney, you’ll have a legal advocate on your side to help level the playing field. You’ll also be able to focus on your medical recovery instead of worrying about your claim for compensation. You can leave that all to us at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Case in a Fatal Houston Truck Accident?
Losing a loved one in a fatal truck accident can be one of the worst experiences imaginable. While the liable driver in this type of situation may be facing serious consequences – potentially even at the criminal level – this does nothing to help you and your family. That’s where filing a wrongful death claim can come into play.
There are a few rules to keep in mind regarding wrongful death claims in Texas. Initially, only the deceased person’s children, parents, or spouse can bring the claim. If the claim is not brought within three months of the wrongful death incident, then the personal representative (executor) of the deceased person or the administrator of their estate must bring the claim instead.
We understand you’re going through an incredibly difficult time if you’ve lost a loved one in a truck accident. Our car and truck accident attorneys are here to help you as best we can. While a wrongful death claim can never make up for your loss, it can help you and your family move forward financially and can offer you a sense of justice.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in Texas?
The Texas statute of limitations sets the deadlines for when lawsuits of each category must be filed. By default, you’ll have just two years to file a claim after a truck accident. This deadline applies to lawsuits as well as insurance claims against the at-fault party.
However, there are many exceptions to the statute of limitations. In some instances, you may have additional time to file your claim; in others, you may have less time. This area of the law is surprisingly complex.
Because of the nuance involved in interpreting and applying the statute of limitations, contacting a truck accident attorney in Houston may be in your best interest.
Contact Our Houston Truck Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
If you were recently involved in a big-rig accident in Houston, Texas, you deserve compensation that makes you whole again. Whether you need to file a claim against the responsible driver, their employer, or their insurer, our seasoned Houston truck accident lawyers are up to the task.
At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, we treat our clients like family. We’ll keep you up-to-date on the status of your case and your legal options at all times, and we’ll work hard from start to finish to secure a favorable result, either if it’s a settlement or a verdict on your behalf.
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers has three convenient locations to serve you throughout Houston, Texas. Our main office is located at 3120 Southwest Freeway, Suite 350, Houston, TX 77098.
Call today at
Houston 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Victim Testimonial
What Our Houston, TX Clients Are Saying About Us
Read more of our Google Reviews.
Areas We Serve in Houston, TX
Northside, Independence Heights, Central Northwest, Greater Fifth Ward, East Downtown, Central Business District, South Central Houston, Greater OST/South Union, Southwest Houston, Spring Branch East, The Memorial Villages, Briarforest, Chinatown, Mission Bend, Energy Corridor, Northwest Houston, Acres Homes, Aldine, East Aldine, East Houston, Jacinto City, Galeana Park, Deer Park, South Park, Greater Hobby Area, Hyde Park, Fourth Ward, Rice Military, Bellaire, South Main, Second Ward, Magnolia Park, Pearland, Friendswood, League City, Dickinson, La Marque, Texas City, Humble, Shady Acres, Jersey Village, Pasadena.
Local Emergency Rooms
- SignatureCare – 2500 Rice Boulevard, Houston, TX 77005
- Montrose 24-Hour ER – 1110 W Gray St Suite 101, Houston, TX 77019
- River Oaks Emergency Room – 2320 S Shephard Dr Village Emergency Center Houston, TX 77019
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Related Truck Accident Blog Posts and Resources
- Accidents and Truck Driver Training: Is Commercial Truck Training Enough?
- Blind Spot 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents: Why They Happen and How To Avoid Them
- How Long Does It Take to Settle An 18-Wheeler Accident Case in Houston, TX?
- Can Trucks Drive on the Left Track in Houston?
- Do I Need to File a Police Report After an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident?
- Where Are the 4 Blind Spots on an 18-Wheeler?
- Texas 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Lawyer
- Trucking Company Negligence Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Brain Injuries From Truck Accidents
- Aggressive Driving By Truck Drivers
- Are Texas Commercial Truck Drivers Required To Take a Drug Test After an Accident?
- Average Settlement Value of a Truck Accident Injury Case in Texas
- Texas Truck Lane Restrictions
- What Impact Is Uber Freight Having on the Trucking Industry?
- Aggressive Driving By Truck Drivers in Houston