Houston Brain Injury Lawyer
Have you or someone you love suffered from a brain injury in Houston, Texas? In many cases, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages, medical bills, and loss of enjoyment of life.
When you have brain injuries, you deserve a Houston brain injury lawyer that will fight for every dime you need to get the necessary medical care you need.
At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, our Houston brain injury lawyers have over 45 years of combined experience. We’ve spent our careers fighting for injured victims like you and securing life-changing awards of compensation for them in the process. We have recovered tens of millions for injured victims of truck accident injuries, car accident injuries, motorcycle injuries, slip and fall cases, wrongful death claims, and more. Our results speak for themselves.
Our nearby skilled and trusted Houston brain injury attorneys can help you understand your legal options and get the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Houston law firm today at (713) 500-5000 for a free consultation.
How Our Houston Brain Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Brain Injury Accident
You need a Houston brain injury lawyer near you that has everything needed to give you the best chance to recover compensation. We have the experience and strength required to handle serious personal injury cases in Houston, Texas, like traumatic brain injuries.
We also have a winning track record. Perhaps what sets us apart from many Houston personal injury firms, we have the financial stability necessary to put up a fight against big insurance companies.
Attorney Brian White is Board-Certified in Texas Personal Injury Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. This personal injury lawyer specialty certification is one earned by only 3% of lawyers.
Our personal injury lawyers in Houston, TX, are proud to carry on a culture of excellent service for each client as we handle their personal injury claims.
When you hire us, you can expect:
- Full-service representation. We know that traumatic brain injuries are enough to worry about. We handle every aspect of your case. You can focus on recovery.
- Thorough investigation. When you have suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), you may not recall much about the accident that caused your injury. Memory loss is a symptom of many types of brain injury. We will launch a complete investigation and gather all the evidence available to establish your case.
- Expert collaboration. We work with Texas’ leading experts, including medical experts and experts in any other scientific or technical field needed to prove your case.
- Blame deflection. Even when a serious condition, like a traumatic brain injury, is at issue, insurance companies will still often try to blame you for your own injuries. We defend our clients against accusations of blame and minimize any blame on their part.
- Assertive negotiation. We have the backbone it takes to stand up to the insurance companies in settlement negotiations. We always do our best to get our clients full compensation.
Of course, even though most cases settle before trial, we are prepared to take every case to trial, if it becomes necessary.
After an accident, it is recommended that an injured person establish an attorney-client relationship with a reputable Houston brain injury attorney promptly. This is because traumatic brain injury claims can take quite a lot of time to investigate and prepare.
With our entirely free consultation and contingency-fee based representation, you have nothing to lose. Contact our Houston brain injury lawyers at one of our 3 offices near you. Our Houston brain injury attorneys are available 24/7.
What Are Common Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)?
Traumatic brain injuries result from violent jolts of the head and neck. A wide range of signs and symptoms characterize traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can be particularly scary because the signs and symptoms do not start immediately after the accident. Instead, their onset is delayed by hours or even days.
For this reason, it is important to be familiar with classic warning signs associated with TBI that call for medical intervention.
Signs Immediately After an Accident
Not all signs and symptoms of traumatic brain injuries are delayed.
Some immediate signs include:
- Loss of consciousness as brief as a few seconds or as long as hours
- Changes in alertness, like drowsiness or difficulty awakening
- Double vision or trouble following an object with the eyes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of balance and peripheral weakness of arms and legs
- Clear fluid draining from ears or nose
Speech difficulties, like slurred speech or scrambled speech (sometimes called “word salad”), also indicate TBI.
If you suspect that your infant has suffered a TBI, get immediate medical help and contact our Houston infant brain injury lawyers.
Signs In the Hours and Days After an Accident
Following a blow to the head or other violent jolt, particularly those sustained in a car accident, friends and family should monitor victims of head trauma.
TBI victims may start to show the following signs in the hours or days after they have suffered a TBI:
- Headache, particularly a persistent headache
- Vertigo, dizziness, or lightheadedness
- Sudden changes to behavior or mood swings
- Inability to concentrate, communicate thoughts, read, or think clearly
They may also develop anxiety and depression, or a lack of interest in activities they previously enjoyed.
In particular, TBI symptoms often impact a person’s sensory abilities, such as:
- Ringing in the ears
- Metallic or other bad taste in the mouth
- Loss of smell or taste
- Sensitivity to light
If your loved one is showing symptoms like these within the hours and days after a serious violent jolt to their head, they should be evaluated by a medical professional immediately.
What Usually Causes Traumatic Brain Injuries?
There can be many causes of traumatic brain injuries. But one of the most common causes covers a wide range of situations: someone else’s negligence.
According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the majority of TBIs reported in the U.S. were caused by:
Almost half, a full 40%, of the TBIs in the U.S. each year result from a fall. Unsurprisingly, the elderly are most likely to suffer a brain injury from a fall. Falls among senior citizens can be the result of unfortunate slip-and-fall accidents or they can be indicators of more serious situations, like nursing home negligence.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle crashes, including truck accidents and motorcycle accidents, are the leading cause of TBI-related deaths. Often, a head impacts a steering wheel, dashboard, or window at high speed during a crash.
Struck by an Object or Person
Blunt force trauma results from direct contact between a blunt object and a person. The severity of these injuries depends on the size, speed, force, and other factors related to the object and the strike. Blunt force trauma often occurs in construction site accidents when equipment strikes a worker.
Violent Crime or Assault
Each year, 10% of all TBIs are caused by a violent interaction with another person. Intimate partner violence and child abuse, as well as physical assault with an intent to injure or harm someone, fall into this category.
In addition to these broad categories, traumatic brain injuries of all kinds can be caused by specific types of accidents.
Some situations that commonly lead to TBIs include:
In any of these situations, a negligent party can be responsible for the injuries a victim sustains as a result of their negligence. Contact an experienced Houston traumatic brain injury lawyer near you to help you get your life back on track.
What Damages Are Available in Houston, Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Cases?
Texas law permits recovery of both economic and non-economic damages in personal injury cases. Economic damages are those that are easily quantified by dollar amount.
- Lost wages
- Medical bills
- Cost of future medical care
- Therapy and rehabilitation expenses
These damages usually have a reasonably certain value that can be documented by receipts, payroll stubs, tax returns, and medical treatment records.
Non-economic damages still have a pecuniary value, but it is not easily quantified or reasonably certain. Instead, the value of these damages is based on the facts of the individual case and the judgment of the jury.
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of quality of life
A savvy Houston brain injury attorney uses evidence of a person’s pre-injury lifestyle to establish the value of these claims. The more disruption the injury causes in a person’s life, the higher their non-economic damages are likely to be valued.
What Are the Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries?
Traumatic brain injuries range in seriousness and spread. Some common categories of TBIs include:
- Concussions. Concussions are the most common type of TBI. They are caused by a hit to the body that causes the brain to move rapidly back and forth, sometimes even striking the inside of the skull.
- Contusions. A brain contusion is caused by bleeding inside the brain itself. Brain contusions frequently require surgical removal to avoid fatal outcomes or to prevent further damage to surrounding brain tissue.
- Diffuse axonal injuries. A severe type of brain injury, this kind of brain damage occurs when an external force causes tears throughout the brain. These tears in brain tissue can lead to coma or death.
- Penetrating injuries. Penetrating injuries occur when an object, usually a sharp one, punctures the skull and brain. An injury that can often be fatal, anyone who survives is likely to have long-term and severe loss of cognitive function, speech capacity, and emotional regulation. In short, they may be unable to care for themselves.
Even if you or someone you love have suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), you are not automatically entitled to recover compensation. Each type of injury must still be proven by competent medical evidence, including medical records and expert testimony. This is one reason you need a skilled Houston traumatic brain injury lawyer on your side.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After Suffering a Brain Injury in Houston, Texas?
Texas has a two-year statute of limitations that applies to most personal injury lawsuits. So, if you’ve sustained a brain injury due to another person’s negligence, you’ll have two years from the date you got hurt to take action.
While there are exceptions to this rule, it is important to act quickly. If you miss the deadline that applies to your specific set of circumstances, you’ll be prohibited from seeking damages for your brain injury.
Contact our Texas Brain Injury Lawyers for a Free Consultation
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers has three convenient locations to serve you throughout Houston, TX. Our main office is located at 3120 Southwest Freeway, Suite 350, Houston, TX 77098. We can be reached at 713-500-5000 or click here to fill out our online form.
Hiring our attorneys can give you time to grieve and also position you to secure a substantial monetary award. At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers we’ve been fighting on behalf of accident victims and their families for decades.
We’ve gone head-to-head with some of the biggest and most powerful insurance companies in Texas and come out on top. Let us put our considerable experience to work to benefit you and your family during this difficult time.
Your first consultation is free, so give our Houston brain injury attorneys a call today to learn more.
Reach Out to Our Houston Brain Injury Lawyers Today
Proving a traumatic brain injury (TBI) case is difficult. It can be made even harder by the victim’s limited ability to remember, speak, or express their emotions.
The compassionate Houston brain injury attorneys at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers know how difficult dealing with TBI victims can be. We are proud to help our clients who have suffered TBIs to reach their optimal physical and financial recovery. Give us a call today.
Houston Brain Injury Lawyer Review
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Brian White and his team went out of there way to show us they cared and give us the best service. They were very understanding and helpful. They were able to get us the best settlement possible without going to court. We would highly recommend them to our friends and family. They are the best! Thank you for everything Brian, Liz, and Maggie y’all made the whole process much easier.
The Aguilera Family
Read more of our testimonials.
Our personal injury law firm in Houston, TX also handles:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Birth Injuries Lawyers Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Boating Accidents Lawyer in Houston, TX
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Car Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Child Injuries Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Construction Accidents Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Jones Act Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Maritime Injury Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Product Liability Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX