Brian White | November 28, 2023 | Pedestrian Accident
How much money you can get from getting hit by a car as a pedestrian depends on many factors. However, pedestrian accidents often result in high-value personal injury claims. The medical costs, lost wages, and other expenses can rise quickly because pedestrians often sustain catastrophic injuries.
Each pedestrian accident case is unique. Therefore, the factors of your case will determine how much money you get after being hit by a car.
A Houston pedestrian accident lawyer analyzes the factors of your case to determine which factors impact the value of your case. They also develop a strategy for increasing how much your pedestrian accident case is worth.
What Factors Impact the Amount of Money a Pedestrian Can Get After Being Hit by a Car in Houston, TX?
Factors that impact how much money you might receive for a pedestrian accident claim include:
- The types of injuries you sustain. Catastrophic injuries usually increase the value of a claim.
- The availability of insurance coverage and the policy limits. If the driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage, you might need to pursue an underinsured motorist claim or sue the driver.
- Whether you could be partially to blame for causing the accident. If so, it could decrease the value of your claim under Texas comparative fault laws.
- Whether you sustain permanent impairments or disabilities. If so, you could receive compensation for future damages in addition to compensation for damages to date.
- The parties involved in your claim. Some parties may be more difficult to work with or have challenges that make it more difficult to obtain a fair settlement.
- The medical treatment received and the duration of your recovery period. The more intensive your treatment and the longer your recovery, the higher the financial losses and the more suffering you experience.
- The strength of your evidence proving the other driver was at fault. If your evidence is weak, it can reduce your negotiating power.
- The level of scarring and disfigurement you have from being hit by a car. The value of your damages increases with the severity of the disfigurement and scarring.
Other factors can impact how much money a pedestrian receives from a driver who hit them. Determining how those factors impact the value of your case can be complicated. The insurance company for the driver will not tell you if factors increase the value of your damages. Always check with an attorney before settling a claim.
What Damages Are Available for Pedestrians if They Are Hit by a Car in Texas?
Examples of the damages a pedestrian could receive include:
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Medical bills and expenses
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Lost wages and benefits
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Impairments and disabilities
- Rehabilitative therapies
- Nursing and/or personal care
- A decrease in future earning capacity
Jurors may also award punitive damages in a pedestrian accident lawsuit. However, the victim must prove that the driver acted with gross negligence, malice, or fraud. Punitive damages could increase the value of a pedestrian accident case.
What Can You Do to Maximize the Amount of Money You Receive for a Pedestrian Accident Case in Texas?
After being hit by a car in Houston, you need to take steps to protect your legal rights.
Things you can do to maximize your chance of recovering fair compensation for your injuries include:
- Call 911 to report the accident and request emergency services
- Remain at the accident scene and wait for the police to arrive to complete a crash report
- Make a video and take pictures of the accident scene
- Ask witnesses for their contact information
- Do not refuse medical care, and follow up with your doctor as soon as possible
- Document your damages by keeping copies of all documents related to the accident and a list of all expenses and financial losses you incur
- Start a journal to keep details explaining the pain and suffering you experience while recovering from your injuries
As soon as possible, contact a Houston pedestrian accident lawyer. An attorney can help you with an insurance claim and lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
When you hire an attorney to handle your pedestrian accident claim, the insurance company knows it is much more difficult to undervalue your damages. The lawyer handles all matters related to your claim so you can focus on your recovery.
Contact the Houston Pedestrian Accident Lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers For Help
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers
3120 Southwest Freeway, Suite 350
Houston, TX 77098
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers – East Fwy
11811 East Fwy, Suite 630-06
Houston, TX 77029
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers – South Loop
2600 S Loop W, Suite 293
Houston, TX 77054