Houston Truck Accident Lawyer – 18 Wheeler Accidents
Sharing the roads in Houston, TX, with 18-wheeler trucks can be dangerous. Crashes involving large trucks do not typically end well for occupants of the other vehicles.
The Houston 18 wheeler trucks accident lawyers of Attorney Brian White & Associates, P.C. understand the devastation caused by commercial truck accidents. For over 45 years, our legal team has fought to make roads safer for drivers in Houston, Texas.
Our founding attorney, Brian White, is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law – a distinction achieved by less than 3% of Texas lawyers. We use our considerable experience, skills, resources, and knowledge to fight for fair settlements and just awards for our clients.
Contact our law office to schedule your free consultation, give us call at (713) 224-4878 to speak with our experienced attorneys. Learn more about truck accident claims and the compensation you can receive for the injuries and damages caused by a truck accident.
Table of Contents
How Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You Are the Victim of an 18 Wheeler Accident
Our attorneys have over 45 years of combined legal experience guiding them as they fight to get you the money you deserve. You should not be liable for damages sustained in accidents involving 18-wheelers that you did not cause. You deserve to be compensated fully for your injuries and damages.
At Attorney Brian White & Associates, P.C., our Houston truck accident lawyers are dedicated to protecting your best interest.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the truck accident to determine how it occurred and who is responsible
- Analyze the laws related to your case to develop a strategy for winning your personal injury case
- Take quick action to preserve evidence, such as the truck’s black box and the truck driver’s logbooks
- Identify insurance coverage for your accident and file all insurance claims
- Handle all communications with the insurance company, trucking company, federal agencies, and other parties involved in your case
- Calculate the value of your personal injury claim by documenting the extent of your injuries and demonstrating how the accident impacted your daily life
- Aggressively fight for maximum compensation by negotiating insurance claims and filing lawsuits
Please reach out to our office today to schedule a free consultation with a Houston personal injury attorney. We want to help you seek justice for the damages caused by a commercial truck accident.
How Common Are 18-Wheeler Truck Accidents?
Traffic accidents involving 18-wheelers are common in Texas. From 2014 through 2018, Texas had the highest fatality rate for accidents involving large trucks. Those figures are based on the annual reports from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
In 2018, 4,951 people were killed in accidents involving 18-wheelers nationwide. Twelve percent of those deaths (604) occurred in Texas.
The Texas Department of Transportation reports that there were 39,193 crashes involving commercial motor vehicles in 2019. Of these, there were 543 fatal crashes that resulted in 613 vehicle fatalities.
Some sources claim the oil boom in Texas is part of the reason for the large number of accidents and deaths. However, that is only one of the factors that cause Texas’s high number of truck accident deaths.
Why Are Truck Accidents More Deadly for Occupants of Other Vehicles?
People use many names for commercial trucks. They are called 18-wheelers, semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and big rigs. The one thing they all have in common is that they are extremely large, heavy vehicles that can cause catastrophic traffic accidents.
A fully loaded 18-wheeler can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Compare that weight with the average weight of a passenger vehicle which is between 4,000 to 5,000 pounds. That fact alone can explain why approximately three-quarters of the deaths in accidents involving commercial trucks are people in the other vehicles.
A passenger vehicle or pickup truck cannot withstand the force of an impact with a large truck. The passenger vehicle’s frame is easily crushed, which causes devastating injuries for the vehicle’s occupants. For this reason, medical treatment expenses can be exorbitant in truck accident cases.
18-Wheeler Truck Accident Injuries That Cause Disabilities and Impairments
The circumstances of the collision can significantly impact the severity of the injuries. There are thousands of people who survive 18-wheeler truck accidents. However, they often sustain permanent impairments and disabilities, despite proper medical care, because of their truck accident injuries.
Examples of 18-wheeler accident injuries that can result in permanent disabilities include:
- Spinal cord injuries can cause partial or complete paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries may result in cognitive, emotional, and physical impairments
- Lacerations and cuts can cause permanent scarring
- Loss of limbs and amputations cause impairments and disfigurement
- Broken bones and fractures can result in the need for medical equipment to walk or use the arms or hands
- Damage to internal organs may result in the need for dialysis, transplants, and other medical intervention
Truck accident victims may incur hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in damages over a lifetime. It is crucial to work with a Houston truck accident lawyer to seek compensation for damages. You deserve to receive compensation for all types of damages, including permanent impairments, lost wages, medical bills, and pain & suffering.
Who is Liable for an 18-Wheeler Truck Accident?
You must prove that the truck driver, trucking company, or other party was responsible for causing the semi-truck accident to recover compensation for damages.
Examples of negligence and wrongdoing that can lead to a tractor-trailer accident include:
- Distracted driving by truck drivers
- A commercial driver exceeding the maximum hours of driving without breaks or rest
- A motor carrier who disregards regulations and laws related to hiring, training, and supervising truck drivers
- Driving on black ice, a dirt road, or in high winds
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to maintain the tractor or trailer
- Overloading a trailer or loading a shipment incorrectly
Texas’s statutes of limitation typically only give you two years to file a lawsuit after your accident. If you miss the deadline, you cannot recover damages.
Truck accident investigations can be expensive, time-consuming, and complex. You are fighting a large trucking company and its insurance adjusters. You must act quickly to demand that the information on the truck’s black box, the driver’s logs, and the company’s books be preserved.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Houston 18-Wheeler Truck Accident Lawyers
The good news is that you are not alone. You do not have to try to investigate the truck crash, identify liable parties, and gather evidence. Our legal team at Attorney Brian White & Associates, P.C. does that for you.
We are prepared for these types of cases. We have the resources to handle large truck accident lawsuits.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with a Houston 18 wheeler trucks accident lawyer. Let us handle the legal case while you focus on recovering from your injuries.