Houston Negligent Hiring Practices Lawyer
Employers should ensure that they hire honest, trustworthy, and reliable employees. If an employee causes an injury to another person, the injured party may have a claim against the employer for negligent hiring practices.
The Houston negligent hiring practices lawyer of Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers can help you with a negligent hiring claim. Our legal team understands this complex area of personal injury law. You can trust that we will do everything within our power to help you recover compensation after your injury.
Call our law office today in Houston, TX, at (713) 500-5000 to schedule a free consultation with our Houston personal injury attorney to discuss your case.
How Our Houston Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You With a Negligent Hiring Claim
Most injury claims are based on negligence. You have the burden of proving causation, fault, and liability. Many injury victims do not have the time, resources, or legal experience to tackle cases involving negligent hiring. Why? These cases are complex and require sophisticated knowledge of tort and agency law.
However, you do not need to worry. Our Houston negligent hiring practices lawyers can handle all aspects of your injury claim. We have decades of combined experience in personal injury and have recovered millions for our clients.
When you hire Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers you can expect us to:
- Explain Texas laws regarding negligent hiring claims
- Review your case and provide an assessment of your legal options
- Investigate the circumstances that led to your injury
- Identify all parties who might be liable for your damages
- Filing insurance claims and monitor the Texas statute of limitations for negligent hiring injury lawsuits
- Document your damages and fight to get you the maximum compensation for your claim
Our Houston personal injury lawyers will attempt to negotiate a settlement with the liable parties. However, if the parties refuse to negotiate a reasonable settlement, we will not hesitate to file a lawsuit and hold the parties accountable in court.
Call our law office today to discuss your case with an experienced personal injury attorney in Houston, Texas.
What Are Negligent Hiring Practices?
Negligent hiring practices involve the failure of an employer to perform due diligence when hiring an employee. If the employer’s careless hiring practices result in a person’s injury, the employer could be liable for negligent hiring.
Examples of negligent hiring practices include, but are not limited to:
- Failing to perform drug tests
- Not checking for criminal records
- Hiring someone with a history of sexual assault
- Failing to conduct periodic background screening on employees
Employers may avoid allegations of negligent hiring practices if they conduct criminal background checks to review the criminal histories of all job applicants. Any criminal convictions should be carefully considered when making hiring decisions.
Holding an Employer Liable for Negligent Hiring Practices
Many of the elements of a negligent hiring claim are similar to the requirements for other negligence claims. The injured party must prove that the employer created the conditions that allowed the employee to cause harm to the injured party.
To hold an employer liable for a negligent hiring claim, you need to prove the following legal elements:
- The employer had a duty to hire employees who were capable and competent
- The employer breached the duty because of negligent hiring practices
- The employer knew or should have known their conduct could result in hiring employees who were not competent or suitable for the job
- The breach of duty was the direct and proximate cause of your injury
- You sustained damages that are compensable under the law
Most employers have a duty to hire competent employees. The level of the investigation into a job applicant’s background depends on the job duties and the potential for an employee to harm others. In some cases, an employer may have statutory requirements to conduct background checks before hiring an employee.
While employers have a duty to conduct reasonable background checks, they must abide by employment law regarding discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission provides guidance for employers regarding arrest and conviction records when hiring individuals.
Damages Paid for Negligent Hiring Claims Against Employers
If you prove that an employer’s negligent hiring practices resulted in your injury, you could receive compensation for your damages.
The types of damages you might receive include:
- Pain and suffering caused by physical injuries
- Medical bills and expenses for treatment, nursing services, and personal care
- Loss of income and benefits, including diminished earning capacity
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life and reduced quality of life
- Impairments and disabilities
The value of your damages depends on the severity of your injuries and other factors. Our legal team works with you to document all damages to increase the value of your injury claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Houston Negligent Hiring Practices Lawyer
Employers who engage in negligent hiring practices should be held accountable when their conduct injures another person. Call our office to schedule a free consultation to discuss how our Houston injury lawyers can help you recover the compensation you deserve.