Brain Injuries From Truck Accidents
Brain injuries from truck accidents can cause long-term impairments and disabilities. Living with a brain injury is not easy. You may struggle to perform basic activities each day. It may be difficult or impossible for you to work.
If a truck driver caused your accident, the trucking company or its insurer may owe you compensation. The Houston brain injury lawyers of Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers have extensive experience handling truck accident cases.
Contact our law office in Houston, TX, to schedule a free consultation with one of our Houston personal injury attorneys at (713) 500-5000.
How Our Houston Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You With a Brain Injury Claim
When you are fighting a trucking company for fair compensation, you need a legal team that understands the unique issues that must be addressed.
Our team at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers has decades of experience handling truck accident claims and brain injury cases in Houston, Texas.
When you hire our law firm, you can expect us to:
- Immediately begin an investigation into the cause of the truck accident
- Take steps to preserve evidence before it can be destroyed or lost
- Review trucking regulations to determine if violations contributed to the cause of the accident
- Identify each party who might be liable for your damages
- File all insurance claims and other court documents to protect your right to receive compensation for damages
- Work with trucking industry experts, accident reconstructionists, and medical experts
- Calculate a fair and just amount for your damages and fight to obtain that amount through settlement negotiations or in court
- Keep you informed about your case while doing everything possible to relieve the stress of a legal battle so you can focus on your recovery
Our law firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients in jury verdicts and settlements. We aggressively pursue every avenue to recover the maximum compensation available for your injuries and damages.
Please contact our law firm to request your free case evaluation with an experienced Houston brain injury lawyer. You can also use the contact form on our website to request more information or an appointment.
Truck Accidents Cause Catastrophic Injuries
A tractor-trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. By comparison, a passenger vehicle weighs about 4,000 to 6,000 pounds. A passenger car always loses in a collision with a truck. Smaller vehicle occupants have a high risk of sustaining catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injury (TBI).
In large truck accidents during 2019, 71 percent of the traffic deaths were occupants of vehicles other than a truck. In addition, occupants in other vehicles sustained 69 percent of the injuries in truck accidents that year.
Damage to the brain is a common truck accident injury. The force of the collision causes the person’s head to slam into an object resulting in closed head injuries. In some cases, a projectile might cause a penetrating head injury as it pierces the skull and enters the brain.
Some of the consequences of a brain injury include:
- The impairment of cognitive functions includes writing, speech, memory, concentration, thinking, and expressing thoughts
- Disruption of body movements causing lack of coordination and balance or impairment of motor functions
- Changes in personality and behavior, including radical mood swings that make it difficult to maintain relationships
- Impairment of the senses, including vision and hearing loss or altered touch sensations
A brain injury can severely impact a person’s independence. Some brain injury victims may require extensive assistance and long-term care.
Types of Brain Injuries Sustained in Truck Accidents
Several types of brain injuries are common in large truck accidents, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Coup Contrecoup brain injuries
- Open head injuries (skull fracture)
- Swelling and bleeding in the brain
A brain injury can be life-threatening. The longer it takes to receive medical treatment, the higher the risk for permanent impairments.
Therefore, it is essential to see a doctor after a motor vehicle accident.
Signs of a Brain Injury After a Truck Accident
Common signs of a brain injury include, but are not limited to:
- Ringing in the ears
- Loss of consciousness
- Change in mood, sleep, or eating patterns
- Trouble with attention, memory, thinking, or concentrating
- Seizures or convulsions
- Slurred speech
- Loss of coordination
- Weakness or numbness in the arms or legs
- Increased agitation, restlessness, or confusion
Symptoms of a brain injury may not develop for a few hours or days following a truck accident. Symptoms could worsen.
It is important to monitor an accident victim closely for several days to watch for signs of a brain injury.
Seeking Compensation for a Brain Injury After a Truck Accident
You have had to endure physical pain and emotional stress. You should not have to deal with a financial crisis as well.
The parties that caused the truck crash should be the ones to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other economic damages.
These parties should also compensate you for your non-economic damages, such as mental anguish, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. A brain injury can impact your quality of life. You deserve fair compensation for the long-term impact of impairments and disabilities.
Several parties may be responsible for causing the truck accident. Our legal team carefully analyzes each factor that contributed to the collision to identify the responsible party.
Parties that could be named in a truck accident lawsuit include:
- Truck drivers
- Trucking companies
- Loaders and shippers
- Truck maintenance and repair shops
- Truck manufacturers
- Other drivers
- Government entities
You do not need to worry about pursuing these parties when you hire our Houston truck accident lawyers. We take care of holding these negligent parties accountable for their actions on your behalf.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Houston Brain Injury Lawyers
Accident victims have a limited time to pursue an injury claim. Contacting a Houston truck accident attorney as soon as possible is in your best interest. Each day that passes could mean vital evidence is lost or destroyed.
Our lawyers are waiting to hear what happened to you. We want to help you identify who caused your injury and hold them liable for their conduct.
Call our office to schedule a free consultation with one of our Houston brain injury lawyers. You deserve answers and justice.