Accidents With Fire Trucks and Other Emergency Vehicles
Did a fire truck or other emergency vehicle cause your car accident in Houston, TX? If so, contact Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your legal options for recovering compensation for your damages. These large vehicles can cause traumatic injuries, and you deserve a fair settlement.
At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, our Houston truck accident attorneys have over 45 years of collective legal experience. Attorney Brian White is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, so he has the experience and skills to handle these cases and go to trial when necessary.
Contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation with our Houston fire truck accident lawyers to discuss your case at (713) 500-5000. Our legal team is ready to take up the fight for you so that you can focus on your continued recovery.
Table of Contents
How Our Houston Personal Injury Lawyers Help You After an Accident Involving a Fire Truck or Other Emergency Vehicle
Accidents involving emergency vehicles or fire trucks are incredibly complicated personal injury cases. The cases involve filing claims and lawsuits against government entities. Going up against the city or state without an experienced injury lawyer could result in losing your case.
At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, our Houston truck accident lawyers understand the laws governing claims involving government vehicles. We have the resources to fight the government to hold an agency accountable for the damages a negligent employee caused.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the traffic accident to determine how it occurred and who is responsible for causing the accident
- Determine the statute of limitations and monitor deadlines to file lawsuits
- Identify all parties who could be liable for the claim
- Document damages and work with your doctors to determine the extent and severity of your injuries and damages
- Calculate an accurate value for your damages and fight to get you that amount as a settlement or jury verdict
- Work with medical specialists, accident reconstructionists, and other expert witnesses, as necessary
We protect your best interest as we work to resolve your accident case in Houston, Texas. Our legal team understands that you experienced an emotional and traumatic event. Therefore, we handle all matters related to your personal injury case so that you can focus on healing from your injuries and getting your life back to normal.
Contact our law office to request a free case review from an experienced Houston truck accident lawyer.
What Causes Accidents With Fire Trucks and Emergency Vehicles?
We depend on the fire department, ambulance services, police department, and other first responders to help us when we are injured or in distress. We rely on their speed to get to us as quickly as possible. Their vehicles have sirens, warning lights, and other devices to help them speed through traffic to get to accident victims and others needing help.
Unfortunately, first responders can focus so intently on reaching the destination to help someone they might forget to drive with reasonable care and safety. Even though they must move quickly, they still need to take reasonable precautions to avoid causing an accident or injury.
Common reasons why accidents occur with fire trucks and other emergency vehicles include:
- Failure to use lights and sirens correctly
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Improper turns
- Attempting to maneuver through congested traffic by using emergency lanes, center lanes, and driving on the other side of the road
- Improper lane changes
- Distracted driving and inattention
- Malfunctioning vehicle systems or parts
- Poor maintenance
A collision with another vehicle can occur while traveling fast. Accidents may also occur even when the emergency vehicle is not responding to a crisis.
What Types of Injuries Do People Sustain When Hit by a Fire Truck or Other Emergency Vehicle?
The size and weight of emergency vehicles make them very dangerous in a car accident. A passenger vehicle cannot withstand an impact with a much larger vehicle without significant damage.
The result is catastrophic injuries for accident victims. Common injuries caused by emergency vehicle accidents include:
- Internal bleeding and damage to internal organs
- Spinal cord injuries, including complete or partial paralysis
- Traumatic brain injury, including concussions, bleeding, skull fractures, and contusions
- Chest injuries
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Severe scarring and disfigurement
- Crushing injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
An accident victim can develop permanent impairments or disabilities because of their injuries. The person might require extensive and long-term personal and nursing care. They might need ongoing medical treatment.
How Does Sovereign Immunity Impact an Accident Case?
Fortunately, the Texas Tort Claims Act protects an accident victim’s right to seek compensation for damages. The Act gives people the right to sue the government if they sustain injuries and damages because of a government employee’s use of a motor vehicle while performing duties in their ordinary course of employment.
However, proving the government is liable for damages can be difficult. Therefore, you need an attorney with significant experience handling claims against government entities.
What Is the Deadline for Filing a Claim for an Accident Involving a Fire Truck or Other Emergency Vehicle in Houston, TX?
The statement of limitations for filing government tort claims in Texas differs from other car accident cases. You only have six months (180 days) to file a notice of claim after the accident.
The deadline could be shorter in some cities. For example, the City of Houston requires you to file a claim within 90 days after the accident. Therefore, you must seek legal advice as soon as possible after an accident with a government emergency vehicle or fire truck.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Truck Wreck Lawyers in Houston
Delays in hiring an attorney after an accident involving a fire truck or emergency vehicle could hurt your case. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our Houston truck accident lawyers. We fight for the maximum amount for your case to help you continue on your road to recovery.
We also cover:
- Cargo truck accidents (lost load, improperly loaded and oversize load accidents)
- Eagle Ford Shale truck accidents
- Equipment failure
- Tow truck accidents
- Garbage truck accidents
- Commercial work truck accidents
- Coal logging and refrigeration truck accidents
- Flatbed truck accidents
- Moving van accidents
- Tanker truck accidents
More truck resources: