Houston Highway Crashes Attorney
Have you been injured in a car accident on a highway that runs through the city of Houston? Don’t hesitate to contact Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers for immediate legal advice and assistance.
Highway crashes tend to be particularly traumatic. If someone else is even partly responsible for the crash, we’ll help you fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
Connect with us online or contact our office at (713) 500-5000 to arrange a time to sit down with us after being involved in a car accident in Houston. We’ll carefully review your case and answer any questions you have. Your first consultation is 100 percent free, so call now.
Table of Contents
Houston Has Some of the Most Dangerous Highways in the Nation
More than a dozen major highways run through Houston, Texas. As the city grows in population, these highways see more and more traffic. It seems as though highways in Houston are at capacity. Traffic jams are now seemingly constant.
In fact, Houston ranks 7th when it comes to traffic congestion in the United States. One survey found that drivers in Houston spend about 75 hours stuck in traffic every year. That’s more than 3 days.
As traffic congestion and gridlock have gotten worse, highways in Houston have become more dangerous. So dangerous, in fact, that more than 2,850 people are seriously injured in crashes in Houston, and another 640 die.
As a result, Houston touts a higher traffic accident death rate than cities that are much larger and more congested – including Los Angeles and Los Vegas.
What Causes So Many Car Accidents on Houston’s Highways?
Highways provide the potential for high-speed travel. However, Houston’s roads – and its highways, in particular – weren’t designed to accommodate so much traffic.
This means that there can be several extremes occurring at once – ars moving at high speeds, cars coming to an abrupt stop, cars sitting idle or crawling along for stretches of time. This simply creates conditions under which traffic accidents are likely to occur.
Highway crashes occur when:
- The flow of traffic changes suddenly, such as when a collision blocks the road or there are simply too many vehicles on the road.
- Uber and Lyft drivers stop their vehicles on highways and create a hazard for others.
- Distracted driving – drivers aren’t paying attention while sitting in traffic and fail to see that the conditions have changed.
- After sitting in traffic, drivers speed up to make up for lost time.
- Lane changes without paying attention.
- Drivers engage in risky behaviors at intersections, like speeding up to beat a red or yellow light.
- Highways permit non-vehicle traffic, but do not have dedicated safety infrastructure or features to keep those travelers safe.
- Truck drivers engage in dangerous maneuvers while sharing the road with smaller vehicles.
- Road surfaces become slick when the weather is bad.
Accidents on Houston’s highways can happen for a lot of different reasons. If you’ve been injured in a crash, reach out to our legal team to discuss your car accident case.
We can review your case, explain any potential options for a financial recovery, and help you fight to get the money you deserve.
Why Are Highway Accidents in Houston So Catastrophic?
There are, on average, between one and two fatal motor vehicle accidents in Houston every single day. Another 7 or 8 people sustain severe, often life-changing injuries.
Why are these crashes so severe? It goes back to the fact that highways are built for speed, but Houston’s are often at a standstill. So, crashes are particularly severe because, many times, cars traveling at high speeds are colliding with cars that aren’t moving.
Construction Zones Make Highways in Houston Inherently Dangerous
Most of these accidents are happening on Houston’s highways, including:
- Baytown-East Freeway (I-10)
- Katy Freeway (I-10)
- Gulf Freeway (I-45)
- North Freeway (I-45)
- I-69/US 59 (Eastex Freeway, Southwest Freeway)
- 610 Loop (I-610)
- Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8)
- Fort Bend Tollway
- Hardy Toll Road
- Westpark Tollway
- Crosby Freeway (US 90)
- Northwest Freeway (US 290)
- Spur 5
- Decker Drive (Spur 330)
- The Downtown Split (Spur 527)
- SH 99/SH 99 Toll (Grand Parkway)
- SH 146 (Baytown Freeway)
- SH 225 (La Porte Freeway)
- SH 249 (Tomball Tollway)
- South Freeway (SH 288), and the
- Emmett F. Lowry Expressway.
Several new highways and extensions have been proposed as part of a $7 billion infrastructure plan. While this is aimed to limit the number of accidents in Houston, it might end up contributing to the problem.
Construction zones are dangerous. They disrupt the flow of traffic. Unless drivers use caution, drive slowly, and pay attention, wrecks can and do occur. In fact, statistics show that Texas is home to more construction accident fatalities than any other state in the country.
In 2015, there were 3,000 work zone crashes in Houston and Harris County. No other county reported more.
Common Highway Crash Injuries
Highway accidents can be devastating. While some crashes are relatively mild, many victims sustain injuries that will affect them for the rest of their lives. At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, we will fight to recover compensation for all types of injuries, including:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Head injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Traumatic amputation
- Eye injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Chest injuries
- Traumatic brain injury, and more.
Sadly, due to the violent nature of these wrecks, hundreds of people lose their lives in highway car crashes in Houston every year. If someone you love has died in an accident on a Houston highway, our compassionate wrongful death attorneys are here to help.
You could be entitled to compensation for your devastating loss. We will help you navigate this difficult time and fight to secure a financial award that could make a difference for years to come.
Who Is Responsible For My Injuries After a Highway Accident in Houston?
- Drivers or occupants of passenger vehicles
- Bus drivers
- METRORail operators
- Transit companies
- Government agencies responsible for road design, maintenance, and safety
- Vehicle or equipment manufacturers
- Truck drivers
- Trucking companies, or
- Employers of negligent parties.
The only way to know who is responsible for your highway accident (and resulting injuries) is by figuring out why it happened. At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, our Houston personal injury lawyers will dig deep to get the answer. We’ll scrutinize your crash from all angles, analyze evidence with the aid of crash experts, and determine the cause(s).
With this information, we can identify anyone who might have played a role. Once we know who is at fault, we can work toward holding each and every one of them financially accountable.
Damages Might Be Available After Your Highway Car Accident in Houston, TX
Don’t underestimate the costs of a crash on a highway in Houston. High-speed collisions can do a lot of damage. The physical, emotional, and financial repercussions can become overwhelming. This is especially true if your injuries are catastrophic or if you lose someone you love. Fortunately, compensation might be available.
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers will work diligently to seek and secure all damages on your behalf. This can include money for:
- The cost of medical treatment
- Property damage
- Lost income and wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
Insurance companies will work hard to deny your car accident claim for damages or, at the very least, minimize how much money you ultimately agree to take. They’ll use every trick in the book – even those in bad faith – to keep you from getting the money you deserve.
Our attorneys won’t stand for that. We’ll enlist the aid of specialists and professionals – including accident reconstructionists, medical doctors, therapists, and engineers – to help us build the strongest possible injury claim we can.
We’ll work hard to prove your case and back our demands for compensation with solid evidence and facts. Our law firm will invest whatever time, manpower, and resources are necessary to secure a successful outcome in your case.
Contact Our Houston Car Accident Law Firm Today
Once you’ve been injured in a car accident on a Houston highway, you’ll have a limited time to demand compensation. The statute of limitations in most cases is two years. You could have less time, especially if you decide that a government agency shares responsibility for your injuries. The best course of action is to contact an experienced Houston car accident attorney right away.
At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, we have more than 45 years of collective experience representing crash victims in Texas. We know how much is at stake.
We know how important a financial settlement or award can be as you recover. Let us help you fight to get every last dollar you deserve.
We offer free consultations, so contact our Houston law firm to schedule yours today.
Other types of car accidents
- Head-On Crashes
- Rear-End Collisions: Injuries and Recovery
- Self-Driving Car Accidents
- Left Turn Accidents
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Single Vehicle Accidents
- Drunk Driving Crashes
Our personal injury law firm in Houston, TX also handles:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Birth Injuries Lawyers Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Boating Accidents Lawyer in Houston, TX
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Car Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Child Injuries Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Construction Accidents Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Jones Act Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Maritime Injury Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Houston, TX
- Product Liability Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Houston, TX
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX