Red and Yellow Light Accidents in Houston
Red and yellow light car accidents in Houston, Texas, can cause severe injuries. These accidents often result in side-impact or T-bone accidents as well as head-on collisions. In most cases, the party who failed to yield the right of way is at fault for the accident.
However, insurance companies routinely fight claims and undervalue damages, even though their insured is at fault for the cause of the crash.
Our Houston car accident lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers have over 45 years of experience handling car accident claims. As a result, we understand how to deal with insurance companies that refuse to act in good faith to settle claims.
Table of Contents
How Our Houston Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You with a Red and Yellow Light Accident Claim
Building a solid case is the first step in recovering a fair settlement amount for your car accident claim. Our founding attorney at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law. Only 3% of Texas lawyers achieve this designation.
Our law firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients. Attorney Brian White is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Our legal team pursues every source of compensation until we exhaust all legal avenues to get you the maximum compensation available for your car accident claim.
When you hire our award-winning legal team in Houston, Texas, you can expect us to do the following:
- Provide you with sound legal advice and provide support and guidance throughout your case
- Perform an independent investigation to determine how the car accident happened and who is responsible
- Gather evidence to prove causation and fault to establish liability for damages
- Work with medical professionals, accident reconstructionists, and other experts and specialists
- File insurance claims and handle all matters related to the claims
- Document damages to calculate how much your claim is worth
- Prepare and file a personal injury lawsuit to argue the case in court if that is in your best interest
You do not have to handle this matter alone. We are here to help. Call Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Houston car accident attorney.
Causes of Red and Yellow Light Accidents in Houston, TX
In 2021, intersection crashes resulted in 1,037 deaths and thousands of injuries. Failing to yield the right of way often leads to a red and yellow light accident. Common causes of red and yellow light accidents include:
- Speeding up at a yellow light to “beat” the red light
- Hitting the gas the second the light changes to green without checking for cross traffic
- Distracted driving
- Illegal right-hand turn on a red light
- Turning left in front of oncoming traffic without clearance or the right of way
- Running red lights because of speed, impaired driving, drowsy driving, or other negligent driving behavior
- Aggressive driving and road rage
Determining who had the right of way is often a key element of a red and yellow light accident claim. Texas traffic laws establish the rules of the road, including when drivers have the right of way. Unfortunately, what should be a simple case can become complicated when the insurance company disputes liability.
Proving Liability for a Red and Yellow Light Accident Claim
You must prove that the other driver was responsible for causing the crash. Proving the driver did not have the right of way can help. However, the insurance company might allege that you were partially to blame for causing the accident.
Shifting the blame to the accident victim is a common tactic used by insurance adjusters to avoid paying claims. Under Texas contributory fault laws, you cannot recover any money for damages if you are 51% or more at fault for a car crash.
If your fault is below the threshold, you can receive compensation for damages. However, the amount you receive is reduced by your percentage of fault. Therefore, if the insurance company proves you were 40% to blame for the crash, you only receive 60% of your damages.
- Witness statements
- Damage reports for each vehicle
- Police reports
- Traffic camera footage
- Videos from nearby surveillance cameras
- Onboard vehicle system data
- Statements made by the other driver
- Evidence from the accident scene
- Opinions and reports from accident reconstructionists and other experts
Insurance adjusters use your statements and other evidence to allege contributory fault. Therefore, it is always best to speak to our Houston car accident attorneys before you talk with an insurance company about an accident.
What Damages Can I Receive for a Red and Yellow Light Accident in Houston?
- Medical bills and rehabilitation expenses
- Pain and suffering caused by emotional distress, physical injuries, and mental anguish
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of income and benefits
- Permanent impairments and disabilities
- Diminished quality of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- A decrease in future earning capacity
The time to file a claim is limited by the Texas statute of limitations. If you do not file a timely claim, you lose the right to demand compensation from the person who caused the accident.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Houston Car Accident Lawyers if You’ve Been Involved in a Red and Yellow Light Accident
You deserve fair compensation for your injuries and damages. Our Houston red and yellow light accident attorneys accept cases on a contingency fee basis. Call now for your free consultation to discuss your case and how we can help you.
Other Car Accidents We Cover
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Seatbelt injuries
- Interstate crashes
- Road defect accidents
- U-Turn accidents
- Single vehicle accidents