Houston Defective Machinery Lawyer
Defective machinery at a construction site or other job site can cause fatalities and catastrophic injuries. One or more parties may be liable for damages caused by defective or dangerous machinery. Injured workers could have a product liability claim in addition to a workers’ compensation claim.
The product liability lawyers in Houston at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers review your case for free. Our personal injury lawyers have over 45 years of combined legal experience. In addition, Attorney Brian White is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law.
Table of Contents
How Our Houston Workplace Accident Lawyers Help You After Being Injured by Defective Machinery
Product liability law applies to various manufacturing defects and design defects. Cases involving defective machinery require a thorough understanding of how these laws work. You want an attorney who has extensive experience handling cases involving defective machinery.
When you hire Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers to handle your case, you can trust that we have the skills, experience, and resources to handle your case.
You can expect our Houston personal injury lawyers to:
- Investigate your accident to identify how you were injured and the parties responsible for the defective product
- Retain experts to assist in the investigation, negotiations, and trial as necessary
- Gather evidence and document your damages
- File all insurance claims and handle settlement negotiations
- Monitor deadlines to file product liability lawsuits under the Texas statute of limitations
- Offer guidance, legal advice, and support throughout your case
- Discuss the pros and cons of accepting a settlement offer versus taking the case to court
Our lawyers and legal team always have your best interest as our top priority. Contact our Houston, Texas law today for a free case evaluation.
Common Injuries Caused by Defective Machinery
Workers injured by a defective machine may sustain permanent impairments and disabilities.
Common injuries caused by defective machinery include:
- Paralysis and spinal cord injuries
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Fractures and broken bones
- Eye injuries and loss of vision
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Electrical injuries and electrocution
- Back and neck injuries
- Injury to internal organs
- Severe burns, disfigurement, and scarring
- Crushing injuries
Injuries caused by defective products can cause life-threatening conditions that result in wrongful deaths. Failing to inspect and correctly use machinery can cause injuries. However, a design defect or manufacturing defect can be the reason a person is injured while using a machine.
Who Can I Sue for a Defective Machinery Injury in Houston?
Most work-related injuries are covered by workers’ compensation. However, if the machinery was defective, you might have a third party claim for damages. The cause of the malfunction and the type of defect determine who is liable for your injuries.
If a designer or manufacturer is responsible for the defect, they could be financially responsible for damages under strict liability laws. Product liability cases may also involve negligence claims and other personal injury causes of action.
Workers’ compensation laws prohibit employees from suing their employers for covered work accidents in most cases.
However, there are some exceptions. For example, if an employer intentionally caused the employee’s injury, they could be liable for damages.
If the employer knowingly violated safety regulations, the court might find the employer liable for a machinery accident.
Workers’ compensation only covers a portion of lost wages. It doesn’t compensate you for pain and suffering damages. Therefore, you should consult a reputable lawyer to explore a third party claim after a machinery accident. A third party claim can provide much more compensation for damages than a workers’ comp claim.
What Damages Can I Recover for a Defective Machinery Claim?
Even though you might have filed a workers’ compensation claim, you may be able to seek additional compensation from a product liability claim.
Damages available for a defective machinery claim could include:
- Past and future medical expenses and costs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Physical pain and suffering
- Past and future lost wages and benefits
- Impairments, disfigurement, and disability
- Reduced future earning capacity
- Mental and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Past and future cost of nursing care or personal care
- Reduced quality of life
The value of your claim depends on the severity of your injuries, the strength of your evidence, and other factors.
It’s a good idea to seek legal counsel before you sign a settlement agreement. Accepting a settlement agreement without consulting an attorney could cause you to miss out on substantial compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Houston Defective Machinery Lawyers
Contact our Houston defective machinery lawyers if you were injured by faulty equipment. We can explain your legal rights and options regarding a defective product case. Your initial consultation with a lawyer is free of charge, and you are under no obligation to hire our law firm after receiving legal advice.