Houston Cerebral Palsy Lawyer
If your child is suffering from cerebral palsy in Houston, TX, you are not alone. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 1 in 345 children in the U.S. are living with cerebral palsy. While there are many causes, some instances of cerebral palsy (CP) are the result of medical errors during childbirth.
The Houston cerebral palsy lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers can help determine if you qualify for compensation for your child’s CP. Our compassionate, award-winning legal team has more than 45 years of collective experience helping victims who were injured by careless errors.
Table of Contents
How Our Houston Birth Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Cerebral Palsy Case
When your baby has suffered a birth injury, nothing else in your life seems to matter. But that doesn’t mean that you should give up your right to be compensated for the mistakes that were made. The CDC estimates that medical costs for a child with CP are ten times more than for a child without CP — and can be nearly $1 million over a lifetime. Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers can take care of fighting for the compensation you deserve so you don’t have to take a minute away from caring for your child.
When you hire our Houston personal injury lawyers to handle your case, we’ll:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into all circumstances surrounding your child’s birth
- Analyze all medical records to determine how the birth injury occurred
- Hire trusted, reliable professionals who are experts in CP to help support your case
- Handle all communications and negotiations with insurance companies
- Send an attorney who is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law to fight for you in court, if necessary
Our dedication and commitment to getting families the compensation they deserve has earned us a perfect 10 rating on Avvo, membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and most important — millions of dollars in life-changing awards for families like you. Call us today for a free consultation.
Overview of Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral palsy is a group of neurological disorders affecting the cerebral cortex — the area of the brain that, among other things, controls movement, balance, and posture. CP is the leading cause of childhood disabilities.
There are three main types of CP, classified by the type of movement disorder:
- The most common type of CP
- Causes stiff muscles, making walking and other movements difficult
- Can affect arms, legs, one side of the body, or the entire body
- Uncontrolled movement of the hands, arms, feet, and legs
- Also includes athetoid, choreoathetoid, and dystonic subtypes
- Affects balance and coordination
- Causes difficulty walking, making quick movements, or movement requiring lots of control
Some individuals have mixed CP, which means they show symptoms of more than one type of the above disorders.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Cerebral Palsy?
The type and severity of cerebral palsy determine how your child will be affected. Symptoms can vary widely between different types.
Some symptoms of cerebral palsy include:
- Weakness in limbs
- Lack of muscle coordination and control
- Stiffness in muscles
- Speech delays
- Drooling or trouble swallowing
- Jerky or other involuntary movements
- Lack of balance
Early signs of cerebral palsy can include:
- Inability of the infant to lift head
- Baby appears either floppy or rigid
- Cannot roll over
- Crawls using one side of the body in a lopsided manner
Some symptoms may be evident at or shortly after birth. In other cases, symptoms may not be visible until later in the child’s development.
What Causes Cerebral Palsy?
There are many causes of cerebral palsy, and what caused any given case is not always certain. If your child developed CP because of an error made by a medical professional, we will work day and night to pin down the precise cause and fight for the money you need to support your child.
Cerebral palsy can occur from medical mistakes, such as:
- Delayed or improperly performed Cesarean section
- Misdiagnosed or untreated infections
- Improper treatment of the mother during pregnancy
- Failure to monitor the baby’s vital signs during delivery
- Failure to recognize or treat umbilical cord complications
- Misuse of forceps or improper vacuum-assisted delivery
- Untreated jaundice
Medical malpractice claims of any kind are always complex. We have years of experience handling tough cases. You can count on us to do everything we can for you and your family.
Contact Our Houston Cerebral Palsy Lawyers for a Free Consultation
If your child is suffering from cerebral palsy that was caused by a medical error, Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers is here for you. We’ve helped countless families recover substantial financial awards that help them manage difficult injuries caused by medical malpractice.
Call today for a free consultation with one of our compassionate Houston cerebral palsy lawyers. We’ll thoroughly review your case at no charge and no obligation.