Houston C-Section Injury Lawyer
Birth injuries are devastating. Sadly, many of the birth injuries that occur are preventable, including C-section injuries. Medical negligence and errors by medical professionals can cause children to be permanently disabled.
The Houston C-section injury lawyers of Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers have over 45 years of experience handling personal injury claims. Our legal team works with parents to seek compensation for the damages and injuries caused by medical malpractice.
Contact our law firm for legal advice regarding your case. Our Houston, TX birth injury attorneys want to help you ensure that the parties responsible for your child’s injuries are held accountable for their negligence and wrongdoing.
Call now at (713) 224-4878 for your free consultation and no-obligation case review.
Table of Contents
How Our Houston Birth Injury Lawyers Help You with a C-Section Injury Claim
When your newborn suffers a birth injury, your focus is on the wellbeing and health of your child. However, it is also important to consider your child’s legal right to compensation for injuries and damages.
Your child may require ongoing medical and personal care. They may suffer from a lifelong impairment or disability and struggle to meet developmental milestones that other children reach without much effort. The doctor who caused your child’s pain and suffering should be held liable for negligent conduct and actions.
When you hire our Houston personal injury lawyers to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Provide compassionate and skilled support and guidance as you seek justice for your child
- Investigate the circumstances that led to your newborn’s injury
- Identify the doctors, nurses, and other parties responsible for the birth injury
- File insurance claims and handle all communications with the insurance company
- Monitor deadlines for filing personal injury and medical malpractice lawsuits under the Texas statute of limitations
- Negotiate a fair settlement for your child’s injury claim
- Argue your case in court if the other party refuses to negotiate a fair settlement
Your child has suffered a great injustice. Let us help you seek justice for your child through the legal system. Contact our Houston, Texas law office to schedule your free consultation.
What Are Common C-Section Injuries?
When a doctor delays a cesarean section or makes errors during a C-section, the newborn could sustain one or more injuries. Some C-section injuries can be life-threatening or cause permanent impairments and disabilities.
Examples of injuries caused by mistakes and errors related to C-sections include:
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Facial nerve palsy
- Brachial plexus
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Bone fractures
- Organ perforation
In some cases, delayed C-sections or errors during a cesarean section can result in life-threatening conditions for the mother. In addition, a C-section that goes wrong could result in a wrongful death for the mother and the newborn.
What Are the Causes of C-Section Injuries?
Miscommunication, poor judgment, and negligence are the most common causes of C-section injuries. The doctor is responsible for monitoring the mother and the child for signs of fetal distress and other problems. However, the hospital, nurses, and other medical professionals could also be named in a medical malpractice lawsuit because they may share liability for the birth injuries.
Common causes of C-section injuries include, but are not limited to:
- Failing to monitor the mother and infant for signs of stress that require an immediate cesarean section
- Surgical errors and mistakes made during the C-section
- Overcrowding in the hospital limited the doctor’s and nurse’s time monitoring and caring for the mother during labor and delivery
- Overcrowding could have resulted in surgical suites being unavailable when needed
- The doctor failed to assess the risks and the need for a C-section or failed to recognize the warning signs of fetal distress
- A doctor chose to ignore warning signs or delay the C-section because of proof medical judgment
- There was a miscommunication between the doctor, nursing staff, and other members of the medical team
An infant can suffer permanent brain damage within minutes of being deprived of oxygen. A doctor may have just minutes to deliver the baby by C-section if the baby is without oxygen or is in danger because of another labor and delivery complication. Failing to act quickly could have dire consequences for the child and mother.
Damages Recoverable for a C-Section Injury Claim
The types of damages that you and your child might receive for a C-section injury claim depend on the facts of your case.
However, damages awarded in medical malpractice claims related to birth injury could include:
- Pain and suffering experienced by the child and mother, including future pain and suffering caused by a child’s disability or impairment
- The cost of medical bills and expenses, including ongoing medical treatment, therapies, and personal care
- The child’s future loss of income and opportunities because of impairments caused by C-section injuries
- The parent’s loss of income as a result of caring for a child with special needs
- Punitive damages for intentional wrongdoing or gross negligence
Our legal team works with you, your child’s physicians, and medical experts to assess the severity of your child’s injury and damages. We may also retain financial professionals and economists to assist us in calculating the cost of future care and damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Houston C-Section Injury Lawyers
You and your child deserve to be compensated for the losses and damages caused by medical negligence. Call our law firm or reach out to us online to schedule a free case evaluation with a Houston C-Section injury lawyer.
Money can never undo the wrong that has been done to your child. However, it can provide the financial security needed to continue receiving the care and treatment required for a birth injury.