Houston Forceps Injury Lawyer
Did you or your baby sustain injuries during a forceps delivery in Houston, TX? You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. An experienced Houston forceps injury lawyer at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers can fight to hold the negligent healthcare providers liable for damages.
We have over 45 years of experience helping victims of medical negligence. We have the tools to help you recover the money you need to protect your child’s future.
We’ve already recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients. Contact our law offices in Houston, Texas, at (713) 500-5000 to learn more about how we can help your family.
How Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Medical Malpractice Claim in Houston
When doctors are properly trained and cautious, there’s nothing wrong with using forceps to deliver a baby. However, many doctors use the wrong techniques or make mistakes when using forceps. Forceps errors can amount to medical malpractice–and your family shouldn’t have to suffer the financial consequences of a doctor’s medical negligence.
Working with an experienced Houston personal injury lawyer is the best way to protect your legal rights after a forceps injury.
At Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll fight for your family by:
- Determining the cause of the injury
- Identifying all sources of insurance compensation
- Calculating the value of your medical malpractice claim
- Negotiating with the hospital and insurance company to maximize your settlement
- Advocating for you at trial if necessary
You only have a limited amount of time to take legal action–and it’s never too early to start building your medical malpractice case. Call our Houston medical malpractice attorneys to learn more today.
Overview of Forceps Deliveries
A forceps delivery is a type of vaginal delivery. The forceps, which look like a pair of metal spoons, are placed around the baby’s head to help guide the baby from the birth canal.
Forceps deliveries are more dangerous than traditional deliveries. Doctors only recommend forceps delivery if certain risk factors are present.
Doctors in Houston often decide to perform a forceps-assisted labor and delivery if:
- Labor isn’t progressing as expected after the cervix has dilated
- The baby’s heartbeat is irregular
- The mother suffers from certain medical conditions, including high blood pressure or heart disease
- The baby suffers from a bleeding disorder or condition that impacts bone strength
- The baby’s head is face-down
- The baby is unable to fit through the pelvis
Forceps deliveries should only be performed in hospitals. If the forceps delivery is unsuccessful, your doctor may try a vacuum extractor. In other cases, a C-Section may become necessary.
Common Causes of Forceps Injuries in Houston Hospitals
Some of the most common causes of forceps injuries include:
- Using the tool before the mother’s cervix is dilated
- Failure to properly grasp the baby’s head
- Using forceps when the baby is in a breech or transverse position
- A high forceps delivery, where the head is not fully engaged
- Ordering a forceps delivery when a C-Section is needed
- Failure to use the proper type of forceps
- Lack of experience
- Failure to monitor the mother and baby
You have enough on your plate if your child was injured during the birthing process. Our lawyers can conduct an investigation to uncover the cause of your child’s injury. Just call our law firm for a free case review today.
What Are the Most Common Types of Forceps Injury?
Improper use of forceps can cause serious long-term damage. Some of the most common types of forceps injury include:
- Cerebral palsy, usually caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain or pressure on the brain
- Intracranial bleeding (bleeding in the brain)
- Skull fractures
- Facial injuries
- Facial palsy
- Eye injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Brain damage
- Wrongful death
Some forceps injuries heal over time. Others can be permanent. If your child has suffered a birth defect or brain injury due to someone else’s mistake, our lawyers are here to help you hold the responsible parties accountable.
How Much is My Houston Forceps Injury Case Worth?
A serious birth injury can have a dramatic impact on your family’s quality of life. It’s important to consider the big picture before accepting any insurance settlement.
Factors that are relevant in calculating the value of a birth injury case include:
- The cost of your baby’s medical care
- The nature of your baby’s injury
- Whether the forceps injury will cause long-term or permanent damage
- Whether your child will need ongoing medical treatment
- The extent of your lost wages and income while caring for your child
- Your future lost earning potential
- The impact of the injury on your child’s future education and work prospects
- Your family’s emotional suffering
The circumstances of the injury can also be important. If you believe your baby was injured because of a medical mistake, call our Houston forceps injury attorneys today. We offer a free case evaluation so that you can learn more about your legal options without any risk.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Forceps Injuries in Houston, TX?
Birth injuries often happen because of medical malpractice. If your doctor, nurse, or medical professional failed to adhere to the accepted medical standard of care, they may be liable for damages.
When our lawyers pursue birth injury claims, we’ll fight to recover fair compensation for both your financial expenses and the personal suffering you’ve endured.
You may be entitled to compensation for economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Your child’s lost earning potential
- Medical devices
- Caregiving expenses
- Specialized education programs
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish, including anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of a normal childhood
- Disfigurement or scarring
Every case is different. The types of damages you’re entitled to receive will depend on the type of injury involved and the long-term impact on your family.
Contact a Houston Forceps Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Was your baby injured during a forceps delivery? Our lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to help your family fight for the fair compensation you deserve. Call to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Houston forceps injury lawyer today.