If you were hurt in an electric scooter accident in Houston, TX, call Brian White & Associates, P.C. for help. We are an established personal injury law firm with over two decades’ experience. Our Houston electric scooter accident lawyers offer a free consultation. Call our office today to learn more about your legal right to financial compensation.
How an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Can Fight to Get Fair Compensation
Bird, Lime and other electric scooter companies have seized on the opportunity to provide a relatively cheap and eco-friendly mode of transportation across Texas. Unfortunately, we are already seeing increases in the number of accident victims on our streets and sidewalks.
At Attorney Brian White & Associates, P.C., we have a proven track record of success representing accident victims in Houston. In any injury claim, your lawyer’s experience matters. In electric scooter accident cases, experience is even more important in getting the insurance company to take you seriously.
Our legal team offers:
- The financial resources needed to go up against big corporations and insurance companies
- A commitment to putting in the hard work necessary to find out what caused your scooter accident
- The legal knowledge necessary to apply the law and build a compelling claim for the compensation you deserve
- Decades of experience in negotiating with insurance companies and advocating for clients’ at trial
- A passion for getting justice for accident victims injured because of someone else’s mistakes
Our founding attorney Brian White is a certified personal injury trial lawyer in Texas. Only about 3% of the personal injury lawyers in Texas have obtained this certification. We are serious about advocating for accident victims in Houston, so call us today to see how we can put our skills to work for you.
Electric Scooters Create a Significant Risk of Accident and Injury
Electric scooters have become widely popular in Texas since they first emerged on the scene in 2018. The companies that make these scooters have profited by making these scooters readily available for rent in many Texas cities. While offering a fun way to get around, these vehicles can also be extremely dangerous.
Like a bicycle, electric scooters offer the driver very little protection in a crash. These vehicles can be dangerous because:
- The driver has little protection in a crash
- The driver is not always licensed or trained in operating an electric scooter
- Electric scooters are difficult for drivers and others to see
- The scooters themselves can be difficult to maneuver and offer very little stability
- Many drivers operate electric scooters on sidewalks, creating a potential hazard for pedestrians
Like any other vehicle, lack of experience and ignorance of the rules can create a danger for everyone sharing the roads and sidewalks. If you were hurt as a result, you might be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries. Our experienced Houston injury lawyers can help you understand your rights after an electric scooter accident, so call for a free case review today..
Texas Electric Scooter Safety Laws
Texas and many local governments now regulate the use of electric scooters. For example, Texas Transportation Code Section 551.352 provides the following rules for electric scooter use:
- Electric scooters can only be operated on roads where the speed limit is 35 mph or less
- Counties and municipalities have the right to ban the use of electric scooters on sidewalks or roads in the interest of safety
- Electric scooters can generally be used on paths set aside for bicycles
- An electric scooter has the right to cross a roadway even if the speed limit is over 35 mph
Even where electric scooters have been banned from certain areas, many riders either ignore the rules or don’t know that they exist. Many electric scooter accidents happen in intersections, where vehicles might be driving much faster than the scooter.
Typical Causes of Houston Electric Scooter Accidents
Scooter malfunctions and simple negligence are two of the primary causes of electric scooter accidents in Houston. Defects in the scooter can make the vehicle unreasonably dangerous regardless whether the driver is careful.
Electric scooter accidents can involve:
- Reckless driving, whether on the part of the scooter driver or the driver of a motor vehicle
- Scooters hitting other pedestrians
- Scooters that are struck by motor vehicles
- Riding double on the scooter
- Speeding on sidewalks or other prohibited roadways
- Driving the scooter under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Riding without a helmet or protective gear
- Parking the electric scooter in a place where others might slip and fall over the vehicle
- General inexperience handling a scooter
- Defective components in the scooter
Whether you were hurt while driving an electric scooter or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, our accident lawyers can help. Electric scooter accidents often cause serious injuries. Our injury lawyers will help locate the cause of the accident and fight for fair compensation.
Electric Scooter Accidents Caused by Defects in the Scooter
Scooters are not as heavily regulated as traditional motor vehicles. Still, when a defect in an electric scooter makes the vehicle dangerous, the injuries can be serious. The following types of scooter malfunctions have been known to cause accidents:
- Faulty brakes
- A stuck throttle that eliminates your ability to control acceleration
- Locking front wheels that reduce your ability to maneuver
- Defective handlebars
- Defective batteries
- Power surges
- Electronic malfunctions
Any of these defects can make the scooter unreasonably dangerous. In some cases, the manufacturer or designer of the scooter can be held financially responsible in a product liability lawsuit.
Our law firm represents all injured scooter riders in Houston, including those involved in Bird scooter accidents, Lime scooter accidents, and collisions with motor scooters manufactured by other companies. Call us today to find out how we might be able to help you fight for the money you deserve.
Possible Injuries Caused by Electric Scooter Accidents
You might be fortunate enough to walk away from an electric scooter accident with a few bumps and bruises. Other accidents can cause severe injuries. If you are involved in a car accident while riding a scooter, the injuries can be catastrophic.
Electric scooter accidents can cause:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Lacerations and “road rash”
- Broken bones
- Back injuries
- Injuries to the knees, hips and shoulders
- Wrongful death
Some of these injuries result in a long recovery period. Some may even be permanent. If you were in any type of accident involving an electric scooter, call a lawyer who can evaluate your right to compensation.
Staying Safe While Riding an Electric Scooter in Houston
In most cases, it is the scooter driver or other pedestrians on the road that are at greatest risk of serious injury. Other vehicles have the protection of a sturdy car to cushion them from the crash. That’s why it is so important to follow all applicable safety rules when driving an electric scooter in Houston. As driver, you should:
- Always wear a helmet
- Stay aware of your surroundings at all times, keeping an eye out for cars, pedestrians and even bicyclists
- Watch your speed, as higher speeds can reduce the odds that you might avoid an accident
- Make sure you know how the scooter operates—locate the brakes and practice using them and maneuvering the scooter before going out on the roads
- Know the local rules, which can prohibit riding on the sidewalk and certain roads and paths
The driver of an electric scooter is usually the person at greatest risk of injury. You may also be in a position to prevent accidents from happening. However, you might have the right to financial compensation even if your actions contributed to causing the accident.
How Shared Responsibility Can Impact a Compensation Award in Houston, TX
Multiple parties can be held responsible for causing an accident. Texas law sometimes lets you recover financial compensation even if your actions partly caused the accident. Under Texas proportionate responsibility rules, you can recover compensation for your injuries if you were no more than 50% at fault.
If 51% or more of the fault for the accident is assigned to you, you cannot recover any financial compensation. If you were 50% or less responsible, your compensation award can be reduced by the fault assigned to you.
You May be Entitled to Financial Compensation for Your Electric Scooter Accident Injuries
Monetary compensation can never really make up for a serious injury. If you’ve been injured in an accident, however, financial compensation is usually necessary to protect your financial security. At Brian White & Associates, P.C., we work to reach a damages award that accounts for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Physical therapy and rehab
- Lost wages, both past and future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
- Loss of your loved one’s company or financial support
Depending upon what happened, an insurance company or even the company that made the scooter may be responsible for paying damages.
Call to Speak with an Experienced Houston Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
Every dollar counts when you are recovering from a serious injury. Clients who are represented by a respected lawyer are much more likely to receive a fair compensation award than those who go it alone.
If you need help paying your medical bills, are unable to work or just want to learn more about your rights, call Brian White & Associates, P.C. for a free consultation today. Our respected Houston electric scooter accident lawyers know what it takes to win your case and are always here to help.