Houston Construction Accident Falls Lawyer
Have you been injured in a fall on a construction site in Houston, TX? You may be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries or loved one’s death. Damages may be recovered in a workers’ compensation claim or a third-party claim premises liability or product liability claim.
How a Houston Personal Injury Attorney Can Help After a Fall on a Construction Site
If you are injured in a fall at a Houston construction site, Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers can help you recover damages for your injuries or the wrongful death of a loved one. Our Houston personal injury lawyers have decades of combined experience fighting on behalf of construction accident victims and their families.
Let us put the full force and weight of our law firm behind your injury case. With us in your corner, you can expect:
- An in-depth investigation of your accident
- Tough negotiations with insurance companies, employers, and at-fault parties
- Litigation before a judge and jury, if necessary
Our law office is here to help you navigate this difficult time. Call us to arrange a time to discuss the details of your construction accident fall case. Your first consultation is free.
Paths to Financial Recovery After a Fall on a Houston Construction Site
If you are hurt in a fall accident at a construction accident in Texas, you generally have two possible paths for pursuing compensation:
- A workers’ compensation claim
- A third party lawsuit with an equipment manufacturer or the property owner.
Houston Construction Accident Fall Injuries Workers’ Compensation Claims
All 50 states have workers’ compensation systems in place to compensate employees injured on the job, regardless of whether the employer was negligent, or who was at fault. However, Texas has fairly lax laws, and not all employers are required to subscribe.
Houston Construction Accident Fall Injuries Third Party Personal Injury Claims
A personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit can be brought if the accident was caused by the negligence of an employer or property owner. Typically, damages in a product liability or premises liability lawsuit will be higher than those awarded in a workers’ compensation claim.
Our Houston personal injury attorneys can help you determine all possible paths to recovery. Call to get started today.
Construction Accident Fall Statistics
Construction sites are rapidly changing environments with many risks and hazards. As an industry, private construction had the highest count of fatal injuries in 2017, according to a report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. OSHA has provided the following statistics about falls at constructions:
- Falls from ladders are the main source of falls for workers over 55
- Falls from roofs were the main cause of death for workers under 44
- Workers over 65 have the highest risks of falls
- Roofers have 10X the rate of fatal falls of all other construction occupations combined.
- Falls from a height are the number one causes of construction fatalities.
After traffic accidents, falls are the second most common cause of injury-related death, and the leading cause of death on construction sites. Following any accident resulting in serious injury or the death of a loved one, an experienced attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options.
Common Causes of Falls at Houston Construction Sites
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), in 2018, there were 1,008 fatalities at U.S. construction sites. Of these, 320, nearly one-third, were falls to a lower level. Some of the unsafe conditions that lead to falls at constructions sites include:
- Collapsing scaffolding
- Debris causing slip or trip and fall injuries
- Defective or unsecured ladders
- Faulty stairway
- Improperly guarded scaffolding
- Inclement weather when performing roof work
- Lack of safety equipment
- Unguarded elevator shafts
- Unmarked trenches and excavation sites
- Unprotected or unmarked ledges, wall openings, and floor holes.
Construction accident falls from a height include falls from a scaffold, ladder, roof, or another elevated surface. Falls from a height can cause:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Skull fractures
- Ankles and wrist sprains
- Serious back and spinal cord injuries
Preventing Falls at Texas Construction Sites
OSHA has devoted an entire section of regulations to the regulation of fall protection. Employers must have “fall protection systems” established any time a worker is higher than 6 feet above the ground. OSHA has identified the three most frequently cited safety violations:
- Failing to protect construction workers from falls of 6 feet or more over unprotected sides or edges, such as floors and roofs. (1926.501(b)(1); (b)(10); and (b)(11)).
- Failing to protect construction workers from falling through or into holes and openings in floors and walls. (1926.501(b)(4) and (b)(14)).
- Failing to install guardrails along runways and ramps where construction workers are exposed to falls of 6 feet or more, dow to a lower level. (1926.501(b)(6)).
Some of the control measures OSHA recommends to reduce hazards at construction sites are:
- Perform as much work on the ground as possible to reduce or eliminate the numbers of workers exposed to falling
- Tether / restrain workers, so they are not able to reduce the edge
- Use elevated platforms, scissor lifts, aerial lifts to provide safer working surfaces for employees
- Install guardrails on scaffolds, warning lines, or control lines to keep workers from falling off floors or roofs.
- Install covers over holes as soon as possible if no work is being performed at the hole
- Use a full-body harness with a shock-absorbing lanyard, personal fall arrest systems, or safety net systems.
Time is of the essence following a Houston construction accident fall. An experienced Houston personal injury lawyer will advocate for you and negotiate compensation so that you can focus on healing and recovering. Contact Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers to speak to a workplace injury lawyer about your case.
Damages Available in a Houston Construction Accident Fall Lawsuit
If you are injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, including:
- Medical care expenses
- Lost earnings and loss of earning capacity
- Emotional pain and physical suffering.
If a fall on a construction site in Houston is fatal, the family may be entitled to death benefits or damages for funeral expenses and their loss of financial support.
The attorney you choose can make a significant impact in the amount of compensation you ultimately receive.
The type and amount of damages you can recover will depend on the unique and individual circumstances of your accident, and how your injuries affect you and will affect you for the rest of your life.
Get a Free Consultation With a Construction Accident Fall Attorney
The experienced Houston construction accident fall lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers have more than 45 years of experience representing accident victims in Houston and negotiating maximum compensation. We offer a free consultation to review your legal rights and discuss your potential case. If we represent you, we will not charge any legal fees unless we recover money for you.