I’ve Been Hurt in a Motorcycle Accident – Do I Need a Lawyer?
Attorney Brian White | May 16, 2020 | Motorcycle Accidents
When a motorcyclist is involved in an accident, it’s generally bad news.
Working with a personal injury attorney is your best option for getting the compensation you deserve after being in a motorcycle accident. Your attorney will guide you through the legal claims process and handle negotiations with insurance providers. You concentrate on your recovery.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer’s Help After a Motorcycle Accident?
Your personal injury attorney will be able to quickly tell you about your legal options. Your explanation of the accident coupled with the available evidence will set the stage for what happens next.
If your lawyer decides to take on your case, that usually means there’s a good chance you’ll recover compensation. If not, you’ll be advised about the best course of action to take. A personal injury lawyer can help you by:
- Deciding what your case is worth. You could be entitled to much more compensation than the costs of your medical bills. For example, your lawyer will help you place a true dollar figure on your total damages – including money to cover your pain and suffering, lost wages, any decrease in your ability to earn a living, and property damage.
- Negotiating with insurance providers. You can be assured that after your accident, the at-fault person’s insurance provider will be among the first to contact you. These people are slick, professional negotiators. Their only goal is to somehow convince you to settle your claims for as little money as possible, and as quickly as possible.
- Taking your case to trial, if necessary. Although it’s true that most personal injury cases are settled long before they reach a courtroom, there are times when it takes legal force to make an insurance company do the right thing. If settlement negotiations with the insurance company stall, your lawyer is ideally suited to prepare your case for court. Keep in mind that a settlement is still possible even as a trial begins.
Doing any of the above requires a working knowledge of the legal system, and how it protects your rights in order to secure payment for your injuries.
How Do I Select the Right Lawyer for My Motorcycle Accident Case?
If you were involved in a motorcycle accident, you need to make sure your attorney is a good fit for you and your type of case. Not all attorneys are equipped to handle an injury case, especially if the resulting injuries were severe. Here’s how to pick the right attorney:
- Step 1: Interview several personal injury attorneys. Rather than going with the name of the first law office you see, take the time to personally meet with several. Make sure you limit your search to attorneys who focus on personal injury.
- Step 2: Ask about their experience. It’s best to select an attorney who has successfully handled cases similar to your own. For example, if you’re partially at fault for your motorcycle accident, it’s best to have an attorney who has handled similar cases and understands that Texas is a comparative fault state.
- Step 3: Ask about the size of the law office. While a large law firm may have more resources for your case, some people are more at home with a smaller firm. Either way, pay attention to what your instincts are telling you as you meet with the attorneys.
- Step 4: Be sure to find out who will be your contact person. It’s important to know the right person to ask for when you’re asking for updates on your case. During your interview sessions, make sure you know who that point of contact will be.
- Step 5: Ask about costs. The best legal representation is one you can afford. Most personal injury attorneys will not ask for an up-front payment from you. Rather, most will receive a portion of your settlement or jury award.
- Step 6: Don’t make a decision on the spot. Making the call on whom you want as an attorney is a decision with long-lasting effects on your life. No matter how tempted you may be, resist the urge to make a decision during your interviews with attorneys. Instead, think things over at home while your mind is clear.
We understand that being in a motorcycle accident can be traumatic. Whether your accident was caused by a defective product, the negligence of another driver, or some intentional act, an attorney is your best option for getting the compensation you deserve.