Houston Oversize Load Truck Accident Lawyer
Commercial trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds in Houston, TX. These extremely large trucks speed along interstates and highways throughout Texas. Car accidents involving tractor-trailers cause devastating injuries for occupants of passenger cars.
When semi-truck accidents involve an oversized load, it is often because the truck driver or the trucking company was careless or negligent. The Houston oversize load truck accident lawyers of Attorney Brian White & Associates, P.C. understand the dangers and risks related to transporting oversized loads.
We have extensive experience helping injured victims recover compensation after truck accidents. And we can help you hold a truck driver or trucking company for your damages after a crash. Contact our law firm at (713) 224-4878 to request a free consultation with experienced 18-wheeler accident lawyers to discuss your case.
Table of Contents
How Our Houston Truck Accident Lawyers Help Victims After a Crash
Truck accidents can cause catastrophic injuries and wrongful deaths for occupants of passenger vehicles. Not surprisingly, the settlements and jury verdicts can total millions of dollars. That’s why commercial trucking companies and their insurance providers fight these claims so hard. In fact, they have endless resources to challenge your claims.
At Attorney Brian White & Associates, P.C., we have the resources and skills required to handle big truck accident claims. Our Houston personal injury lawyers have decades of combined experience in personal injury, and we have recovered millions for victims of car and truck accidents.
When you hire our legal team to help with your claim, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of the truck accident to gather evidence proving fault and liability
- Identify each party who is liable for your damages
- File insurance claims and monitor the claim status with the insurance company
- Consult trucking experts and accident reconstructionists to build a strong case for full compensation
- Negotiate for the full amount of all damages
- Monitor the deadlines under the Texas statute of limitations for filing wrongful death lawsuits and personal injury lawsuits
If you have been injured in a truck accident, get in touch with our experienced personal injury attorneys in Houston, TX. We offer free case reviews. Our legal team is committed to helping clients rebuild their lives after a serious truck accident.
Weight Limits for Oversize Loads in Texas
The federal weight limit for semi-trucks is 80,000 pounds. Importantly, the Federal government does not issue permits for oversized loads.
However, the State of Texas issues oversized limit permits for trucks driving on its interstates and highways. Trucks carrying oversized loads can weigh more than 200,000 pounds. In addition, the State can issue a one-time super heavy permit to move loads that exceed 254,300 pounds.
Although the State issues permits for oversized and heavy loads, this does not mean the load is guaranteed to be safe. The State cannot ensure that the truck driver and trucking company follow all safety measures to avoid an accident.
Causes of Oversized Load Truck Accidents in Houston, TX
Oversized truck cargo can be anything from heavy machinery to prefabricated homes. In most cases, the cargo cannot be divided into smaller loads without causing damage to the cargo. Therefore, there is no choice but to transport the item as one load.
Unfortunately, the size and weight of the cargo can cause problems, especially on congested roads.
Some of the issues that can contribute to an oversize load truck accident include:
- The stopping distance for a truck with an oversized load is much greater
- Trucks may need to travel on roads they usually do not travel to avoid bridges and overpasses that cannot support the weight or height of the load
- The truck driver does not have the same level of control over the vehicle because of the weight and height of an oversized load
- Inexperienced truck drivers may make mistakes when carrying an oversized load
- There may be a greater risk of rollover accidents, tire blowouts, and jackknifing with an oversized load
- Lack of maintenance of the truck, brakes, tires, and trailer
- Failure to follow required safety procedures and protocols for transporting oversized loads
The truck driver, trucking company, owner of the cargo, and the shipper may share liability for an accident involving oversized cargo. Therefore, determining fault is a critical element of recovering compensation after a truck accident. Our legal team meticulously analyzes all information and works with experts to gather evidence and identify all liable parties.
What Compensation Can I Receive for an Oversize Load Truck Accident?
The injuries caused by a truck crash generally include life-threatening conditions and catastrophic injuries. Examples include:
Many victims sustain permanent impairments and disabilities because of their injuries. Therefore, the damages in such cases tend to be high.
Damages that you could receive include:
- The cost of medical treatment for injuries
- Permanent impairments, disfigurement, and disabilities
- The cost of nursing care and personal care, including long-term care
- Reimbursement for loss of income, including future lost wages and decreases in earning potential
- Pain and suffering damages caused by emotional distress, mental anguish, and physical discomfort
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Before you can recover damages, you’ll have to establish that the trucking company was negligent for your oversized load accident. This may involve showing that the truck driver drove carelessly, the load was secured improperly, or the truck exceeded their load limit.
Our Houston truck accident attorneys will investigate the accident to gather evidence of why the accident occurred. We will also work with experts such as accident reconstructionists to bolster your claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Houston Oversize Load Truck Accident Lawyers
Commercial truck accidents can cause catastrophic injuries. You deserve to receive compensation for your injuries and damages. We want to help make that happen.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Houston truck accident lawyer.