Houston 18-Wheeler Truck Jackknife Accident Lawyer
We share the road with large commercial trucks in Houston, Texas, every day. Large trucks are as common as Stetson hats. Unfortunately, sharing the road with a tractor-trailer can be dangerous — and deadly.
Our Houston truck accident attorneys at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers understand the devastation caused by semi-truck accidents. Our legal team has over 45 years of combined experience handling truck accident cases, including jackknife accidents.
If you have been involved in a jackknife accident, we can help. Contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation, give us a call at (713) 500-5000 to speak with a Houston jackknife accident lawyer.
Our Houston Personal Injury Lawyers Help You with Your Accident Claim
Our Houston personal injury attorneys have over four decades of collective experience handling personal injury cases in the Houston, TX, area. During that time, our team has developed impressive skills, resources, and knowledge about trucking accidents. You want your Houston truck accident lawyer to have these qualities when dealing with a large trucking company or their massive insurance provider.
Founding attorney Brian White is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, meaning he knows what it takes to win cases. Whether it is an accident involving a jackknifed truck or a multiple-vehicle pileup on the interstate, we will fight to get you the maximum value for your injury claim.
When you hire our Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, you can expect us to:
- Immediately begin a comprehensive accident investigation to gather and preserve evidence necessary to prove your case
- Identify all parties who might be liable for your injuries and damages and place them on notice of a claim
- File insurance claims and deal with the insurance adjusters, investigators, and claims representatives for you
- Work with medical experts to document the severity of your injuries
- Calculate the maximum value for your damages and fight to get you that amount
- Diligently and aggressively represent your best interest inside and outside of the courtroom
If you or a family member was injured in a jackknife truck accident or other crash involving an 18-wheeler, we want to help. Contact our office to request your free consultation with one of our Houston personal injury lawyers.
How Common Are Large Truck Accidents?
Large truck accidents are common in Texas. According to the NHTSA, Texas consistently tops the list for the highest number of people killed in large truck accidents each year.
The Texas Department of Transportation reported that 613 people died in commercial motor vehicle crashes in 2019. Thousands more were injured in the nearly 40,000 commercial vehicle accidents throughout the state.
What is a Jackknife Truck Accident?
Jackknife is a term used to describe a dangerous type of truck accident. The tractor-trailer goes into a skid. The skid causes the trailer and the tractor (cab) to move in opposite directions.
The trailer and cab form a 90-degree angle resembling the angle of a folding pocket knife. Depending on the truck’s speed and other circumstances, the trailer and/or tractor may overturn during a jackknife accident.
All types of truck accidents are dangerous. However, a jackknife accident can cause catastrophic destruction and injuries.
What Are Common Causes of 18-Wheeler Truck Jackknife Accidents?
There are many reasons why a semi-truck might jackknife.
Some of the most common reasons for a jackknife truck accident include:
- High rates of speed causing the trailer to swing out if the truck driver slams their brakes
- Curves can cause a trailer to swing out of control, especially when the curve has a steep angle and the trailer is long
- Equipment malfunction or defective truck parts can cause a truck or trailer to sway back and forth and jackknife
- Slippery and wet roads can result in a loss of traction, which causes the weight to shift and the trailer and cab to skid in different directions
- Negligence and recklessness can contribute to a jackknife accident, including distracted driving, impaired driving, improper lane changes, and drowsy driving
- Improperly secured loads can cause items to shift, which could lead the driver to lose control of the truck and jackknife
- Other motorists cutting off large trucks or slamming on their brakes can cause truck drivers to lock their big rigs down to avoid accidents
Almost all causes of jackknifed big rigs involve negligence and driver error.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Jackknife Accidents
Jackknife accidents can lead to rollover accidents. The truck could crush a passenger vehicle, or a passenger vehicle could become caught between the cab and trailer. A jackknife rig often covers multiple lanes of traffic. High speeds and other factors can increase the severity of the truck crash.
An accident victim could sustain multiple life-threatening injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Severe burns and disfigurement
- Traumatic brain injuries causing permanent brain damage
- Back and neck injuries
- Internal organ failure and damage
- Broken bones and fractures
- Wrongful death
Accident victims may require multiple surgeries and months of therapy to recover from truck accident injuries. Prompt medical care is essential after a truck crash.
Who is Liable for a Jackknife Truck Accident in Houston, TX?
There could be one or more parties responsible for damages caused by a jackknife truck accident. When a truck accident occurs, it is crucial to begin an investigation into the cause of the crash as soon as possible. Our legal team notifies the trucking company and other parties to preserve information from the truck’s black box, data records, log records, and other information.
We closely follow investigations by federal agencies and may retain experts to assist in our own investigation. The goal is to identify each party who contributed to the crash to increase the amount of money available for your claim.
Potential parties that could be liable for a jackknife accident include:
- Truck drivers
- Trucking companies
- Loaders and shippers
- State or federal agencies (faulty roads)
- Truck and parts manufacturers
- Maintenance and repair companies
- Other motorists
Once we identify the cause of the truck accident, we can begin identifying each party who could be liable for your injuries and damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Truck Wreck Lawyers in Houston
We have a winning track record with personal injury cases. Our Houston 18-wheeler accident lawyers are ready to help you with your case. Call today to schedule your free case review to learn more about an injury claim.
We Handle All Types Of Truck Accidents
Contact us in any part of the Eagle Ford Shale in Houston to schedule a free consultation. We also cover the following collisions:
- 18 Wheeler Trucks
- Amazon Vans
- Logging Trucks
- UPS and FEDEX
- Wolfcamp Shale Trucks
- Cargo Truck Accidents (Poorly Loaded and Oversize Load Accidents)
- Tractor-trailer Tire Blowouts