Houston Nursing Home Bed Sore Lawyer
Have you or a loved one experienced an injury due to bed sores while in a nursing home in Houston, TX? If so, your injury may be the result of negligence on the part of your caregiver, and you deserve to be compensated.
The Houston nursing home bed sore injury lawyers at Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers, have the training and experience needed to fight aggressively on your behalf.
We understand that your bed sore injury has caused you pain, and that dealing with the injury and its emotional and financial costs can seem daunting. Our goal is to do everything we can to ensure that any responsible parties are held accountable. You should not have to deal with this situation alone.
Table of Contents
How Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With Your Nursing Home Injury Case
You should not have to deal with overwhelming and complicated legal matters while you try to manage the medical treatment and consequences resulting from your bed sore injury. When you hire our Houston personal injury attorneys, you give yourself the time to focus on getting better.
And, you also put yourself in the best position to recover full compensation from those who are responsible. We navigate the law for you, so you can rest easy.
Attorney Brian White Personal Injury Lawyers is a well-respected law firm and are known for representing our clients with excellent service. Our 45+ years of experience handling complex nursing home injury cases means that we know how to secure positive results for our clients. We know what to expect, and hiring our team of personal injury lawyers means you get the benefit of years of combined experience working for you.
Here are some important things you should understand about our firm:
- You are not expected to pay anything unless you receive a financial award.
- We will handle gathering evidence for your claim. This includes documentation, camera footage, and eyewitness accounts.
- Due to our reputation as a well-established firm, we have plenty of resources to recruit top experts in the field to help back your claim.
- We will handle deals with opposing counsel and insurance firms to ensure you are not manipulated.
Contact our Houston law office to request a free consultation today to learn more.
Nursing Home Bed Sore Injury Facts
Bed sore injuries are unfortunately a common occurrence among nursing home residents, often due to negligence from improper care and attention.
The following are some facts about bed sores to help you understand your injury:
- Bed sores, or pressure ulcers, occur from prolonged pressure. Sores can develop when a patient is left without care even for as little as 2 to 3 hours.
- Pressure on an area can slow blood flow, which can harm skin tissue. After an excessive period of time without blood flow, the skin will deteriorate and eventually die.
- Skin tearing is particularly common in elderly individuals and happens when the skin rubs against something too vigorously.
- Bed sores can cause skin color changes, taking on a bruised appearance.
- In severe cases of bed sores, the sores can be deep enough to cause serious muscle or bone injury.
- Bed sore injuries will usually occur around boney areas, such as ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, and hips.
Understanding the basic facts of bed sore injuries can help provide you with the important information you will need for your case. Our bed sore injury lawyers are trained to work with you in this difficult time and to hold responsible parties accountable for their negligence.
Common Causes of Bed Sore Injuries
Bed sores can result from multiple causes, and they are not just present in elderly people. Examples of some of these causes include:
- Diabetes: Can slow down blood flow and can increase the chance of bed sores
- Dehydration: Causes skin tissue to deteriorate, putting a patient at risk for bed sores.
- Poor nutrition: Prevents the intake of sufficient vitamins and minerals, and can promote unhealthy skin.
- Incontinence: Can soften the skin tissue around the genitals and can cause tearing.
- Any sickness that compromises the immune system, such as the common cold.
Our Houston nursing home abuse lawyers have decades of experience navigating the complexities of personal injury cases like yours. We will investigate your neglect or abuse injury thoroughly so we are well-equipped to advocate aggressively on your behalf..
Improper Nursing Home Care Resulting in Bed Sores
Risks of bed sores can be mitigated, provided you are receiving proper care. If you feel that you or a loved one are not being cared for properly, call our Houston office now. You have a right to top-notch healthcare when in a medical facility, including nursing homes. Some examples of improper care and treatment include:
- The caregiver is not regularly turning the patient to keep their skin clean and dry.
- The caregiver is not visiting the patient daily to monitor any bed sore issues.
- The patient’s family is not provided open access to the facility so they may track changes in the patient’s health.
- The patient is unable to receive and examine their medical records in a timely manner.
If you feel that any of the above apply to you, our lawyers will aggressively fight on your behalf to help you achieve the peace of mind you deserve.
Treatment for Bed Sores
Unless a bed sore is so severe that it requires surgery, most sores can be treated by ensuring the affected area is no longer under pressure, cleaning and dressing the wound with sterile material, pain regulation, a healthy diet, and avoiding the risk of infection.
Ensuring excellent treatment and improving chances of recovery may sometimes require a comprehensive team of healthcare professionals who can monitor your progress and correct any issues as they arise.
Depending on the nature of your bed sore injury, this healthcare team could include a dermatologist, neurologist, dietitian, physical therapist, and sometimes even a social worker to ensure you are addressing any mental or emotional issues that have arisen due to your injury.
These professionals can also help you develop an ongoing plan to avoid bed sore injuries in the future and to recognize the signs before the injury worsens.
What Compensation Can I Expect?
It can be difficult to determine the exact nature of the compensation you can expect following a bed sore injury. Much of your compensation will depend on how severe your injury is, as well as the magnitude of the negligence that resulted in your injury.
In most personal injury cases, we can break down your compensation into two distinct categories: special damages and general damages. Special damages refers to the financial costs resulting from your injury.
- Ongoing medical care
- Costs of in-home care
- Costs of rehabilitation and any therapy needed
- Costs of domestic services
General damages refers to non-economic costs for personal losses that do not easily equate to a monetary value. These include:
- Emotional trauma
- Mental anguish
Bed sore injuries should not be taken lightly, especially in nursing homes and hospitals where you should be able to expect proper care and treatment. Approximately 17,000 bed sore injury cases go to court every year. If you or a loved one have been affected by improper care resulting in bed sore injuries, know that our experienced team of personal injury lawyers will be there to help you through this difficult time.
Please note that Texas law does not allow you to recover if you were more than 50% responsible for the negligence that caused the injury.
Statute of Limitations for Bed Sore Injury Cases
It is incredibly important that you not delay in filing your personal injury claim. State law allows a certain window of time in which to file your claim against a nursing home, nursing home staff members, or others who caused you or a family member to develop bedsores . This is called the statute of limitations, and in Texas, it states that you have two years from the date of the accident to take action against the negligent parties.
Call our team of lawyers today to get the process started. Let us handle all legal matters so you do not have to worry about them. Gathering evidence and putting together a case can take a good deal of time. If you delay, those who are responsible for your injury will not be held accountable.
Contact Our Houston Nursing Home Bed Sore Lawyers to Schedule a Free Consultation Today
Our Houston, TX law firm is renowned for winning on behalf of our clients. When you hire our Houston nursing home bed sore lawyers, you are hiring a legal team that understands how to get you the best settlement or trial outcome. There is a reason we are known for our tendency to win big–because we do.
Give our Houston nursing home injury lawyers a call or reach out to us online to get started. We will sit down with you and answer any concerns or questions you may have, as well as present you with possible options for moving forward. As with all our cases, your initial consultation is absolutely free.